• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Parents upset over question game at school.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The game was called “Cross the Line,” an ironic title because that’s exactly what parents of students at a middle school in Marinette, Wisconsin think the educators did.

Parents upset over ‘game' at middle school that asked questions like ‘Do your parents drink?’ and ‘Has anyone in your family been in jail?’
I don't blame these parents for being upset, I wouldn't like this either. What if one of those kids was having problems at home and they came forward in front of everyone. How are the rest of the students going to react to these kids after a disclosure like that. Some things should be kept to one on one not aired before the student body.

To be honest I don't know what I think about a school asking questions like this. If you have reason to believe a child is having problems at home sure ask questions but just to line them up to pry into their home life seems to be crossing a line to me.

What do you think about a school, a government entity, asking you kids questions like this?

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't blame these parents for being upset, I wouldn't like this either. What if one of those kids was having problems at home and they came forward in front of everyone. How are the rest of the students going to react to these kids after a disclosure like that. Some things should be kept to one on one not aired before the student body.

To be honest I don't know what I think about a school asking questions like this. If you have reason to believe a child is having problems at home sure ask questions but just to line them up to pry into their home life seems to be crossing a line to me.

What do you think about a school, a government entity, asking you kids questions like this?
Just to play the devils advocate... What if a serious problem at home that would otherwise go unnoticed got brought to light?

I do see the questions as too personal though. Why would you need to ask something like that. It's not as if you aren't allowed to talk about those things at school but it's not something that should be asked by the teachers, that's kind of ridiculous.

I'd definitely feel differently if it was someone like a school counselor asking the students questions like this individually. They'd still need to have a reason though. Can't just go probing for information without reason.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Of course I wouldn't want to see any child's problems go ignored but usually there are signs they are having problems such as falling grades, becoming withdrawn or acting out. Which I don't know if a teacher would notice considering how many kids there can be in a class. I also don't know if teachers are even taught to recognize when a student may be having problems at home.

Clare

Registered Member
I think this is a bit out of order. Like it's been said the place to discover issues a child may be having is not in front of a classroom. I also think this could create an issue where there is none. For example the drinking question. Drinking alcohol isn't a crime but no doubt they'd hassle the parents if a child put their hand up to that question. Also the jail question to some extent... should the child be judged for what one of their family members did?

Their reason for doing it also seems like something they just came up with when faced with the complaints. “The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships among students”. Really?

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only thing this would do is cause some students to be harassed by other students that may be bullies. So I don't see how it would build a stronger more respectful relationship among them. I think it would cause more harm than good. I can see some idiot laughing saying Jane or Johns dad/mom is a drunk or jail bird even if they only drank occasionally or spent the night in jail for something stupid they did.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I guess it depends on if it generated discussion among the students. That's the only way I could see this ever being acceptable. Still, that's some pretty sensitive stuff to be talking about in such a public forum.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't mind them discussing these things in a group. I just don't like the fact they were asking them to step forward if they could answer yes to the question and putting the spotlight on a student.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I saw the thread title and was thinking to myself, "what are uber-sensitive parents bitching about this time?" haha

But this time I actually agree with them. This is going too far. And its weird and uncomfortable and just stupid.