Parents Choice to Vaccinate Children

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by icegoat63, May 24, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm sitting here watching an episode of Law & Order and I have to say I'm dead set against what seems to be the message they are sending.

The theme of the episode is, a Baby dies of Measles... other children are reported to have also experienced symptoms of the highly communicative sickness. A single child is thought to be the "source" of the measles outbreak and it just so happens that the Mother of the child doesn't believe in giving her child vaccination or immunization treatments.

So now the Non-Immunization mother is being tried for Murder of the Baby who caught Measles and died.
    ~~~~~~

Do you believe its a requirement of a parent to vaccinate their children regardless of religions or beliefs? Or do they open themselves up legally to situations such as this where they can be held liable for circumstances?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm against forced medication of any kind period. Nobody should be forced to put drugs into their bodies against their will.

As for the example above, maybe if the parents of the baby who died would have immunized their baby then he/she wouldn't have caught measles in the first place. It should be up to the parents/individuals though. I mean, the kid supposedly wouldn't have caught it if he/she was immunized right?

The last thing we need is a government that straps us down and injects us with drugs.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I don't understand why everyone in the world wouldn't want to be immunized against all diseases, given the chance.
    I think it should be forced as it has and will continue to save lives.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I dont think it should be forced however everything should be done to ensure as many people as possible have immunisation. This could be in the form of simple promotion to more extreme measures like compulsory immunisation upon entering school.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I think that if parents decide they don't want to vaccinate their children (which in my opinion is a ridiculous thing to decide - the diseases we currently vaccinate against with the exception of chicken pox are infinitely worse than the effects of the vaccine) they need to be educated on the risks - including the risk of disrupting the herd immunity we currently have as a result of vaccines - and have to sign an agreement.

It's true, if you choose not to vaccinate your kids, you are putting not only your own children, but the rest of the population at risk.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I'm against forced medication as well. I never ever take the flu shot before the flu season and would object to any governmental body that attempts to make me do so.

I can see Jeanie's point, the public policy reasons for doing it, but if your kid is immunized, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. icegoat63

I know that per Religion, yeah there are probably quite a few groups out there that have very strong beliefs against modern medicine and for those groups I dont fully see eye to eye with them. Its nice to know they are "living the dream" but kinda sucks to live the dream when your child's life is cut short from a disease that was cured years ago and could have been prevented with a simple anti-biotic.

However I do still believe its the parents choice, regardless of religion or education level. But I also do Not feel that if their Bacteria & Virus ridden child infects other children that they should be held accountable for that. To me it just doesn't make sense. Its like banning Spoons because they've made people fat.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

But that's just the thing, wouldn't the other kids be immune anyway? I mean, if not then what was the point of getting the shot? :rolleyes:

I think people are just too worried sometimes. I mean, people were scrambling to get flu shots back when Swine Flu was running rampant. I think it's silly really.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

In here, when kids go to school or daycare...anywhere that has to mingle closely and regulary with others, there are required vaccinations for highly communicable and dangerous diseases. You aren't forced to have them, it's only if you choose to put your child there. It's a public safety precaution.

Anyway, from your summary, I think the situation is flawed to blame the parents of the measles source because they didn't vaccinate their child. If others got sick, it means their parents didn't vaccinate either so in a way they're "responsible" too.

10. icegoat63

Well one of the points made on the Show at the time was that children under 1 year old do not require an immunization shot. And in fact alot of children will go without their first shots until they reach either Pre-School or Kindergarten putting them anywhere from 3 to 5 years old.

And the way the Measles spread in the show was via Daycare. The child infected the children that had not been immunized yet because of their age.

But even still... I dont see how the host child is a murderer because of their role as host to a sickness that has been killing years prior to its ride on the child host.