Parenting Changes You'll Make

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
For those who are not yet parents, what changes have you told yourself that you'll make from how you were raised? Some of these are most likely easier said than done but what will you do differently when you have kids of your own?

For those who have kids, have they told you what they will do differently? Have you laughed and told them good luck? :lol: Also, were you successful in raising your kids the way you set out to vs how your parents raised you?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
For those who are not yet parents, what changes have you told yourself that you'll make from how you were raised? Some of these are most likely easier said than done but what will you do differently when you have kids of your own?
Well, my parents did a lot of good by me, so I'm not sure what specifically I'd change. One thing I want to make sure though is that my kid(s) stay active whether it be in a sport or activity. I did baseball and karate and both my parents should have stuck my ass to the wall when I wanted to quit.

Bliss

Sally Twit
My parents raised me perfectly fine. I will take all tips off them and raise my children the exact same way.
My dad has always been overprotective of me. While it would suffocate me when I was younger, I am grateful that he did it because it shows he cares.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
Overall, my parents (mom and nan) did a really good job. The only thing I will not repeat is spoiling my kids.

My nan spoiled me a lot. I was never bratty about it, but I had absolutely NO concept of money or savings or anything. I was also never really made to do chores. So I grew up being pretty lazy. I'm still having to work against all of that, even now. I'll make plans without even thinking about whether I can afford it or not. I will call someone from the next room cause I'm too lazy to get up.

So I won't spoil my kids monetarily or otherwise.

Twitch

Registered Member
I won't force my kids to play a sport or lift weights like my father does.

But i do like my parents idea of no allowance, but asking them for money on weekends and such.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I'll be a lot more positive towards my children. My dad was always so negative with his views of the world, and used to say that no matter what you can't be happy in life. So I'd definitely change that.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I wouldn't change a thing about my upbringing and try to raise my children the same way. I do have to say I give in to things much easier than my parents did, meaning it looks like I've spoiled them.

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
My parents expected and demanded perfection from me to the point where I'd make myself physically sick with worry trying to meet their expectations. That is one thing I will not do with my own children. I want to make sure they know I will love them and be proud of them no matter what kinds of grades they get or career paths they choose to follow.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I won't drink and do drugs like my mom. I won't tell my children that I love my spouse more than them and that if I had to choose I would choose her, not them. Which my dad has done a few times.

The only thing I would change is the amount of domestic independence given. I don't really do any chores apart from empty the dishwasher every now and then, and I have it way too easy. My brother said moving out was a huge shock to the system because he just didn't have a clue about all the stuff he'd taken for granted whilst living at home. My parents admit they were far too soft on us.