• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Parental Control on the 360

yooperchick

Registered Member
I'm watching this live thing going on C-Span. Lieberman was on for a bit complaining about video games. This guy on now (a columnist) is discussing how you can set the 360 to not play "M" rated games if that is what you want it to do.

I didn't know it could do that. As a parent, I can see it being a good thing. What does everyone else think?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't mind it. I think parents should be able to control what their kids play if they want. I think it's a good feature that makes the 360 more family friendly.

I don't have kids but there are certainly some games that kids shouldn't play. I think just disabling all "M" games is not the way to go though. I'd want it to be allow for individual game overrides. For example, I wouldn't want GTA San Andreas enabled for younger kids due to the excessive language and violence, but there are some other games like Halo that I think most kids are fine with. That's a line every parent should make on their own obviously, but I'm just saying that there are different levels of "M" games, and different reasons they get the rating.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Or the parents could just not buy M rated games for their children. What a concept.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
LOL @ Buckeye.. I think the idea is that kids will rent them or borrow them. Parents shouldn't have to rely on a system like this though. If the kid wants to play the game, they will end up playing it regardless. It's an extra barricade though so some parents will like it.

If I was a parent though, I would just peek in the room to see what's being played. If it's a game that they were told they couldn't play, well, then no XBOX 360 for a month. :D

When all the gamers and computer nerds have kids, the kids aren't going to get away with anything.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
All you have to do is make your kids play their videogames in the family room where you can easily keep an eye on them. If they're in their room or in the basement or something, they can get away with almost anything.

Wrecked

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
If they're in their room or in the basement or something, they can get away with almost anything.
haha, yeah. even drugs etc.

kid: "hurry and put that bong under my bed! i hear someone coming down the stairs!"

Rayzn

Registered Member
I think that idea is great. Less kids playing rated "M" games in Xbox live. My ideal type of game.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in favor of XBOX Live making an option for anyone 17+ to only play with people who are 17+. It's no fun playing games with 13 year olds who just learned a new word at school and think that by saying it over and over in a high pitched voice they will intimidate their opponents. :D

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
People are just going to lie and say they're 18. There's really nothing stopping them from doing so. It would definitely be nice though if they forced the annoying kids and cheaters to play with eachother, so then everybody else can just play and have a good time.