Parent Mouthing?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by EllyDicious, Nov 26, 2009.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Does it bother you when parents mouth what their kid says while he/she talks?

take a look at this video, please.[at 0:38 seconds]
    YouTube - Leighanne & Baylee Littreel - RTL Hessen - Interview

this kid is 7 y.o. He's very agile and he can say things on his own without the need to prepare them at first.
    But it bothers me that his mother[though a total sweetheart] is mouthing almost every single word he says, at the same time. :shifteyes:
    i mean, i have got nothing against mouthing[it's normal up to a point], but this is a bit exaggerated. you'd think he prepared this at first. i'm not sure because as i said he's very so improvising.

2. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Hmmm...it's common for parents to do that when they're kids are giving a speech or what not....so it doesn't really bother me that much.

3. EllyDicious

yeah. as i previously said, it's not uncommon but it was weird that she was mouthing every single word, in real time though the speech may have not been prepared. (and i'm sure it wasn't. i know the way that kid is lol.)

4. Shooting_Palanx

So you have an issue with a parent mouthing words to what there kid is saying?

Ummm....ok?

5. EllyDicious

i wouldn't call it an issue. i just find it weird that a parent mouths every single word, at the same time while kid is talking.
    sometimes it makes the kid looks a dummy, like they tell him what to say when it's totally the opposite. the kid in the video is so nimble that he doesn't need anyone to tell him what to say in front of the camera. just let the kid talk on his own. there's no need to mouth THAT MUCH.

are you getting my point?

6. Shooting_Palanx

Meh, of course there's no need, but her natural instinct as a mother allows her to mouth the words as well.

I think it's lovely....but if it annoys you than to each their own I guess.

7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

To me, it says, "I lack confidence in my own kid and think he's too stupid to get it right by himself."

8. EllyDicious

x2 that's what i was meaning. it makes it look like this when it's actually not.

9. Shooting_Palanx

Ahhhhh....from that point of view I can see where you guys are coming from.

I guess it does diminish the kid in some weird way, but it's not really intentional.

10. EllyDicious

what do you mean "where you're coming from". regardless of where we're coming from, mouthing that way can sound stupid to anyone who sees the video.