Parent abuse

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 23, 2009.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Have you ever been guilty of this, or witnessed it?

I've got to admit, when I was young, I had a wicked streak. I was quite a nasty person. Being at home was no exception. I had my excuses, but excuses don't make reasons.

BBC News - Abused by their own children

There is an adult comic here 'The Viz' and one character was [don't know if he still is] ]'Spoilt Bastard.' Spoilt Bastard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'd laugh my ass of at it, but it was more of a guilty laugh. There was elements of his behaviour [albeit 'exaggerated'] that reminded me of me.

It's often over-looked, but parents often do get abused. I guess it has something to do with being too soft on your wee ones.

2. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

I've never seen it before.....but yeah some kids are just generally nasty.

It's funny how it's easy to blame the parent when the kid does stuff like abusing their own parents....

It's shameful really...and the keyword here is discipline.

3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I agree, though you need to get the discipline right. A parent can be too hard, and the child might rebel. A parent can be too soft, and the child might walk all-over them [or run them over as the case may be for some.]

4. Shooting_Palanx

That's what gets me though.

I'd say it's the kids that mold themselves, the parents just guide them.

I've seen kids who get smacked around all their lives, and still turn out alright and having a decent life....it's only those extreme cases that we ever hear of these things.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

My immediate response to this is, "Parents are becoming bigger wimps by the day."

But, the more I think about it, I believe that it IS the parents' fault . . . however, it is not the parents who are being "abused" so to say, but the do-gooders who push their opinions on others and pressure their congressmen whenever a kid gains a pound from cafeteria food or trips on a public walkway. What I see in my opinion, is a generation of super-scared parents on the rise. What's a more pressuring job these days, being president or being a father? A mother? Arguably and comically, I'd have to say a parent because any single tiny thing you do wrong lands you in hot water. Child Services will be breaking down your door if they find out you own both a stove and a baby. So with all this social and legal pressure in mind, parents are now growing afraid to punish their kids or they're being lied to with this "New Age Parenting" junk that includes 'reasoning' with your kids.

Problem is, kids are not as dumb as we give them credit for and they're certainly not as attentive as we want to think they are.

If a child has been raised poorly enough and his/her abusive behaviors are not corrected early on by the parent, the child begins to learn how to get what they want and will be persistent in doing so. The parents' job is to set the boundaries, the rules for interaction and behavior in the child's world. Without that, the parents are at the mercy of their kids. Put it this way:

Let's say we have a mother being "abused" by her son, meaning he hits and beats her whenever he doesn't get his way. Let's also say he's about 8 years old. The mother doesn't fight back because obviously, this is her little boy, her pride and joy, her life. She doesn't want to hit him or put her hands on him because she doesn't believe in it, or because her parents did it to her. Now she's going grocery shopping and the kid is pulling a fit, crying and waving his arms because he wants something she can't afford to buy at the moment. People stare and at this rate, someone is bound to call police. By the end of the next day, she'll be on top of Child Services' most wanted list because she couldn't keep her child happy in public because that's the standard we've set these days.

Whenever a child is upset in public, we seem to automatically assume that he/she is being mistreated by the parents. I think a lot of us have forgotten what to expect from children and I think because of our weakening of parental roles we are raising the next generation (and raised the current one) to not only fear their kids but to expect them to be compliant, content, and obedient when all our mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles and grandparents all laugh when reminiscing how much of a "little bastard" you could be growing up.

Kids are loud. Kids are rude, blunt, playful and care free. They are humanity in raw form and without the parents as the mold-shapers, then we have no future children, only future disaster.

6. Shooting_Palanx

Wow nicely said Cons....

Parents are indeed becoming too soft as the years go by, especially this generation.

Some solid smacking to the kids should teach them right =P

7. Merc

See that's the problem. The 'progressive' parents of today hear the word "slap" as "beat" or "punish" as "mutilate". People think that parents who hit their kids are all villains with sick child brutality fetishes. They think that a parent cannot love a child and hit them too but what they fail to realize is the difference between discipline and malevolence. However, some parents don't see that difference either so both sides are in the wrong at equal times.

8. Shooting_Palanx

Growing up I used to get hidings (beatings) for doing something bad....

After I'd get hit, I'd get real upset, and my mom would tell me that she only hits me because she loves me.

I know now what it meant back than, and looking back it's made me a better person in that respect.

9. Merc

The danger is in the degrees.

A parent who hits their kid constantly and without explanation or warning will raised a scarred child destined to have a difficult life while a parent that is clear with their intentions and follows through with their promises of swift discipline will more often than not, raise a respectable child.

10. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

It's really sad to hear these stories.[i didn't have time to read the whole material though].
    But as previously mentioned, parents are to blame as well. it depends on their upbringing of their child and the way they educated their child.
    Just like Cons mentioned, modern parents of today are against slapping or punishment and think that kids have to understand their mistakes on their own. that's now the way it goes. A parent MUST tell a child what's right or wrong, in every possible way. Talking normally, or even yelling if the child is aggressive or doesn't want to listen. But of course there should be a limit. if you are aggressive to the child he'll learn to be aggressive too. (Towards you or other people) SO being a parent is not easy. a parent should know the limits of the way he/she behaves with his/her child.

Why this teenager has been abusive to his mom? Maybe her mom used to be abusive towards her in the past? or she didn't have enough personality to show what attitude her child should keep in front of parents.

A parent is never your friend. a parent should be a parent.
    When i was a teenager or younger, i had friends getting along with their moms-beyond normal. they would call their moms by names and would be really easy-going(beyond normal). so their parents were actually their friends.
    those girls are grown up now and even dare to call their moms "bitch" "whore" in front of their eyes. I'm sure if their moms start to be aggressive towards my friends, these will be more aggressive towards their parents letting them know that they're just "friends" after all. so these girls have forgotten the meaning of the word "parent".

in the article said that this abusive girl was like this in her early teens. she would scream and shout, unexpectedly. And so used to do her brother. i think there is something wrong mentally.[beyond what i said above]
    they should've gotten treatment since their parent saw the strange signs of their behavior.