• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Paraplegic in mind-controlled robotic exoskeleton to kick off World Cup

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The ceremonial first kick of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil will be made by a paralyzed volunteer from the Association of Assistance to Disabled Children wearing a robotic exoskeleton that the user will be controlling with his or her mind.

Brazil World Cup to be kicked off by paraplegic in mind-controlled robotic exoskeleton
The volunteers had to use a virtual reality simulator to help them to remember how to walk before they can use this exoskeleton. They don't know who will be using it at this moment because it won't be completed until about 30 minutes before the event. Kind of cutting it close. Then they will chose whoever fits it the best.

Scientists are hoping this event will inspire more research into brain machine interfaces. If it will help paralyzed people walk again I hope it does too.

I wish ever who gets picked luck. I know this will be a day they will never forget and a turning point in their life.

Thoughts?

The cyborg era begins next week at the World Cup | The Verge

dDave

V.I.P.
I just hope that they're definitely ready to show this to the world. If they try this and it fails then it may reaffirm to a lot of people that the tech simply isn't ready.

This will be really cool though, there's still a lot of progress to be made with this technology but if this works then it's an amazing accomplishment. Imagine how good this will be in 40-50 years.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes in 40 or 50 years you probably won't see many people in wheel chairs. They will be able to go or do just about anything anyone else can.

There are some neurologists that are against this exhibition since they aren't sure how well the wearer will do. They see it as using the disabled to promote research and think there might be better ways to help them. I'm still keeping my finger crossed they do well.

I got that information out of the second link in the OP.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I would think that the person who will be in this contraption would require some experience or exercise using this thing. How certain are they that they could plug it in to anyone and it will just work the first try? I think this technology will work, but to me it would make more sense to build it specifically to fit one person that they prime for this event, and not just build it and then pick the person that fits into it best.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You would think they would do it that way Idi. They would have a much better chance at success if they did. The person they pick could get out there and fall on their face the way they are doing it.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It just seems like they're cutting it really fine. I hope they at least have a backup plan, and test this before they send someone out there. No point of adding pressure to perform on someone who has never had the opportunity to use the equipment.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know someone that had a prosthetic leg and it took time for them to learn to walk with it. With this exoskeleton they have to use their mind to control it. Seems like to me that would take more practice than with a artificial leg.

It was said after you become paralyzed your subconscious routines required for walking become atrophied. So I'm wondering how well this kid is going to do with only virtual reality training.

dDave

V.I.P.
I know someone that had a prosthetic leg and it took time for them to learn to walk with it. With this exoskeleton they have to use their mind to control it. Seems like to me that would take more practice than with a artificial leg.

It was said after you become paralyzed your subconscious routines required for walking become atrophied. So I'm wondering how well this kid is going to do with only virtual reality training.
I think walking with a prosthetic vs a mind controlled device would be very different.

I wonder how close it would feel to regular walking. I'm sure it feels very natural after practicing with it a lot.

Clare

Registered Member
I think this will be fantastic to see as long as everything goes to plan. Like you say Hilander it'll be such a huge moment for whoever gets picked I have my fingers crossed also.

I'd like to see it live but it is happening at 4am here so I'll have to think about it!