Parallel Universes

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Mirage, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you believe in parallel universes?

Universes in which "you" may exist in some but not others, and that there are an infinite amount of parallel universes out there all with differences.

Some people believe that each decision anybody makes creates a new parallel universe. Others believe in a set amount or whatnot. Others believe there is only one reality and whether there are multiple universes in that reality, who knows.

What do you think? Is it just your personal preference or do you have a reason behind your beliefs?

2. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

First off, here's one theory that I came up with for the possibility of parallel universes, which I'm too lazy to outline again when I can just link you:

http://www.generalforum.com/725705-post1.html

As for my beliefs, I'm not sure, really. To be honest, I'm inclined to believe the Many Worlds Theory, which states the existence of parallel worlds and universes, not alternate realities or timelines, the difference being that a parallel world exists in a dimension seperate to our own - for example, imagine an invisible wall for each world's dimension, then imagine countless criss-crossing walls, all invisible and intangible, all lying over one another, overlapping and existing without independantly to any of the others - while an alternate reality would be a universe identical to our own but minutely different, the typical example being that every action spawns a new offshooting world.

The reason I prefer the parallel dimension theory is because I have a hard time grasping a) the sheer number of worlds there would have to be to compensate for every single decision or action with multiple outcomes, considering that even the action of doing nothing contains billions of possibilities, all of which would spawn new worlds; and b) the other idea, that only major incidents (wars, larger events and such) spawn the new worlds, is...well, it's too Human, it's too focussed on the significance of the Human presence on Earth. Were there no world offshoots before Humans became the top of the food chain? It doesn't seem likely.

So out of the possibilities, I'd wager that either there is only the one dimension, or there are countless dimensions, all unique and seperate; both theories seem plausible to me. But I don't buy into the alternate, decision-influenced worlds theory. It doesn't seem realistic.

3. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I (contingently) believe in parallel universes, in the sense that if the universe just so happens to be infinite (which, of course, is not necessarily, or even likely to be, true), then there must necessarily by another 'Earth' far, far away somewhere, where someone of my exact genetic makeup lived the exact same life as me, but made a different, life-altering decision somewhere down the road. I don't believe we have access to these so-called parallel universes.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I don't know. I do know that the believed immensity of the whole of it has consistently expanded throughout human history: from a belief in just our world with some decoration in the sky spinning about it, to a belief in a sea of galaxies as big from end-to-end as double the distance light can travel in over 13 billion years. If there were other universes, it would not be surprising in the least; whether they were spatially separated in a traditional manner or not. Though, at the moment there is only some odd bits of evidence here and there that could point to such things. An anomaly (dubbed "the axis of evil") in the cosmic microwave background radiation being one of them, as it could be explained by a collision with another universe, though that's really speculative stuff.

Another thing I think worth considering, is an utterly alien and inaccessible "parallel universe" comprised of things our senses cannot detect, and which has no causal influence on the world we know. Our senses are not capable of directly detecting even the whole of which we know to exist, via observing the effects of as much on that which can be perceived, so if there were something with no causal influence on the perceptible world, it would pass forever unnoticed by men. It would also make no difference to us whatsoever, but it's an interesting thing to speculate about. Especially if we consider the potential for a sporadic causal interface between our world and a non-phenomenal/causally-seperate one, hinging on events outside our world.

Incidentally, I have a pet theory that we find the world to be as it, mainly because it is this shade (if I can use that term) of things that matter to us, for their being relatively orderly and sensible: our world being an island of semi-intelligible order in an unintelligible ocean. The thing about randomness is it tends to counter-intuitively produce what appears to be consistency and patterns, when we normally albeit wrongly think of it as resulting in equal distribution within established parameters. Though, again, this is just pure speculation; based ironically in my finding a primarily disorderly and unreasonable universe more plausible than an entirely orderly and reasonable one, and I could probably be accused of finding a chaotic universe more aesthetically pleasing, as it never runs the risk of leaving no more room for wonder. Still, I can say with confidence that the apparency of a degree of order, is no reason to conclude things must be fundamentally law-abiding at their base.

Finally, it's interesting to consider the possibility of universes that are temporally distinct from ours, even while being similar to this one. There is no mathematical reason why our universe should have "an arrow of time" or run in the particular direction it does. So it could be that there are universes identical to this one, but which run backwards: effectively decreasing in entropy from the perspective of someone in this one. Such a universe would be indistinguishable from ours from within that universe, and the second law of thermodynamics would not seem violated from within it, but rather said law would simply not apply on the scale of the multiverse; which we might speculate has some mechanism that gives rise to the relative arrow-of-time as it plays out in given universes.

In any case, this stuff does get the mind churning.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010