• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Papyrus refer's to Jesus' wife

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of scripture: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife …'"

Historian says piece of papyrus refers to Jesus' wife
Looks like Jesus could of had a wife. I never thought about Jesus having a wife, it wasn't something I accepted as fact since she was never mentioned in the bible.

What do you think about this and do you think it will have any bearing on Christianity?

Papyrus scrap mentions Jesus' wife, video

Frenzy

Registered Member
I recall reading somewhere long ago Jesus had a wife but it seemed perfectly acceptable to me at the time I read it, so I never questioned it really.

I'm not sure this will have any bearing on Christianity at all. I mean Christianity was meant for both men and women, it's just at the time the writings of the Bible came together women were viewed as inferior and were made to accept inferior roles as Christians just as with any faith of that period. I think that is commonly known so I really do not see the new evidence found having any bearing at all on Christianity. But it's a pretty interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Very interesting indeed. I wonder if it had any impact on how the religion and people shaped out to be right now.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Paul warned the Corinthians, I think, that there were false prophets teaching a different Jesus. So, I'm not surprised that something like this would show up. Jesus was clearly not married.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've read some arguments that Mary Magdelene was Jesus' wife. It's practically impossible at this point to determine with 100% certainty in my opinion whether that is true or not.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
All this happened so long ago I don't think we will ever know the whole truth about it. It wouldn't matter to me one way or the other if he was married, he is still Jesus. If it were so you think she would of been mentioned in the bible. I wonder if it wasn't because at the time to bible was written women were considered insignificant and in that part of the world most places still consider them insignificant. Plus the translations weren't the best.

I have known people to get really upset if someone said Jesus had a wife. When you think about it though men of that time were expected to have a wife. So why wouldn't he have one also.

Submit

Registered Member
Interesting post.
---
In Islam Jesus (pbuh) was not married nor he had any relationship with any female as some claims that. He inshaAllah will come back to this life as he never died (coz once one dies they die, that's it-i.e. they will get 100% departed from this world- i.e. no coming back to this life). So, Jesus (pbuh) will come again and will perform Hajj (pilgrimage), marry, begets children, and after accomplishing his set tasks by Allah (swt) he will then die. His death will signal the beginning of the last days for humanity before the Day of Judgment.

And when he does come back, the people of the book (practising Jews and Christians) will recognise him as one of the prophet/messenger of Allah. Those practising Christians/Jews will accept Islam as their faith. During his come back, there will be just peace on Earth- i.e. no hatred, no war, no oppression, no abuse, no racisim, all hearts will be free from misery, envy, malice, and jealousy.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Since they can't prove it I wonder if the Vatican is right or wrong about it. I don't think the Catholics like the idea of Jesus being married. I would like to see it examined by a non biased source.