Paprika

Discussion in 'Anime' started by SuiGeneris, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Alright, first off. This may be like one of my first posts in Anime, I feel....like a noob :( Le sob.

Anyway, I just got done watching Paprika and what can I say? It's freaking awesome! I know ysabel has seen it (obviously) but I was wondering who else has seen it and what they thought of it.

Totally recommend it. Ugh..I need to go watch it again.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm so happy you saw it. :hyper:

You surely can relate more to why I picked it as avatar since you know me a lot.

Does this mean you're back to watching anime?

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Heck yeah, I'm happy I saw it too. I should so get a Tokita avatar just for fun :)

Well it's hard not to be back into anime after you see Paprika. Oh man, soooo good! So besides Paprika do you have a favorite character/scene?

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Tokita would fit you...oink! :bolt:

I like the dream sequences and the resolution of their issues. Although I find the tokita-atsuko angle less believable. I mean, sure it's repressed but Tokita hasn't been transformed as much as Atsuko and Konakawa in the story. I still see him as a child.

Btw, I can think of series to recommend but if you're going for another movie, I would suggest The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It's written by the same author of Paprika (but as it's not directed by Satoshi Kon, it's less surreal).

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I actually really like the Tokita angle. I mean, there's a reason (in my opinion) that his character doesn't "progress" much through the story. I mean if you look at the entire movie he's constantly refered to as a kid or immature, yet he does nothing to harm anyone.

It was constantly the people with ambitions and goals for power that were hurting everyone. I thought it was interesting that a "child" created something that was abused by the "Mature" people. Just an interesting under-plot I guess.

That and he needed to stay childish for Chiba to even progress if you think about it. She had to let go of some of her "maturity" and stop hiding behind it.

I'll have to start that series soon, I really really liked the writing and everything about Paprika. So creative, well thought out, pieced together, so awesome!

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Hmm, that's why it's awesome to discuss with someone what you've watched. New perspectives!

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Same, except that one other post I made, and the only thread I made in this section was "I don't understand anime" hahaha. But anyways, I have actually watched trailers (or call them what you will) for paprika, solely because of ys' avy. I have to say it looks half decent. I'd rather sit through that than wash a donkey, put it that way!!

SuiGeneris likes this.
  8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I don't really watch many anime movies unless they are linked to a series show.

Most anime movies I have seen have been...terrible. Few have been good so I usually avoid them.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Have you not enjoyed Miyazaki's movies? Or you've not seen most of it either?

10. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Who is Miyazaki?

asdfasdfasd