Paper books vs eReaders vs Audiobooks

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
Which do you prefer? The good ol' paper and ink in your hand, the electronic database of books you can carry around with you, or listening to the words? They each have their pros on cons - discuss.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I've never tried one of those electronic ones...so those might actually be cool. I have read books in pdf form on the computer, so I can't imagine those would be much different...but I sure would miss seeing books on my bookshelf.

I definitely cannot listen to audio, at all. I have a very short attention span and I would not take any of it in. Especially if there were no pictures or video.

So I say regular, paper books.

Easily-Amused

I have a Kindle, and I used it while traveling a lot, but not so much at home.

I know that I glean information more from listening than from looking at words on a page, though, so recently, I have been more prone to audiobooks.
When I'm doing a project, I'll get both an audiobook and the paper book and read along - i find that most helpful.

If it's just for pleasure, though, I like to be listening to an audiobook while I knit or walk.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I've never really tried anything other than a real book. I have heard audiobooks, but I've never listened to a full one. I wouldn't be able to use them because the voice would ruin it for me. I can't stand them when the people do impressions (or whatever) of the characters.

E-books would also piss me off because I'd have to stare at a screen. When I'm reading huge chunks of text on screens my mind tends to wander and I'd probably send up skipping paragraphs and lines without realizing, lol.

So I'll stick to books. They're best for me. :nod:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've never used a Kindle or anything similar. As long as the screen is easy on the eyes then I think it would be about the same as reading a paper book. I've listened to a couple audiobooks, but I don't really care for them. I have a hard time concentrating on them and my mind goes elsewhere. So I definitely prefer the old fashioned paper books.

Easily-Amused

I just remembered a cool Buffy quote appropriate to this thread :D

Ms Calendar: Honestly, what is it about [computers] that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Ms Calendar: Computers don’t smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell. Musty and, and, and, and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer, is, it … it has no texture, no context. It’s there and then it’s gone. If it’s to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible, it should be, um… smelly.

YouTube - ‪Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1 Episode 8 [Part 5]‬‎

Starts at 0:30

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Paper for sure, you can take it anywhere, you can easily mark on it (say you want to make any annotations of any kind.) I find that reading for long hours on the computer will hurt my eyes a lot.

Audiobooks are ok sometimes but not usually for me, I tend to read quicker when I read on paper.

I just find it more enjoyable to read on paper.