Papelbon

F

Forbidden

Jonathan Papelbon, the closer for Boston has 25 saves and an incredible 0.45 ERA. If he continues like this for the rest of the season, he could become one of the best pitchers in the MLB. What is your opinion on him?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
KolMartin229 said:
People get banned for those kinds of useless posts.

I live near Boston and I've been a fan of the sox all my life, so I heard of Papelbon as he was rising. He got a lot of comparisons to Clemens early on. The nasty splitter, the gas, the stare, he's got a lot going for him. The sox are using Craig Hansen a lot to get him ready for a closer role next season, they need Papelbon in the starting rotation with Schilling retiring end of the season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Paperbon is a very good player, I believe he only allowed 4 earn runs this season which is incredible. But I think B.J Ryan is the best closer in the league, and people rather face Papelbon then Ryan in my mind.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Source: Espn.com

BJ Ryan:
G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 41 45.2 24 5 1 10 55 1 0 24 0.0 0.74 .157 0.99

Jonathan Papelbon
G IP H R HR BB SO W L Sv P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 42 48.0 27 3 2 8 48 2 1 27 0.0 0.73 .160 0.56

Well, number wise, I think I'd rather take my chances with Ryan than face Papelbon. His ERA is almost 50% lower than Ryan, has more saves, and can pitch the distance when needed.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You cannot go with numbers, because sometimes they don't mean anything. I remember one game Ryan came in against the Phillies, and he face five players from the Phillies, and he struck all of them out. Don't get me wrong Papelbon is really good, but I rather have Ryan.