Palin Rally photos

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Well I just got home from the Sarah Palin Rally. Here are some photos. It was actually pretty fun... except for standing in line outside for 2 1/2 hours in the cold. Then standing sitting in the same spot for 2 hours before she got there. Once she got there there was a big sigh of relief as she was running an hour behind.

These are just a handful of the photos I took.

Here is a video of when she arrived

MySpaceTV Videos: Sarah Palin Rally by Brandon

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A few questions/points:

1 - How long do this last? When I read the stump speeches, they seem short.

2 - Is there an opening act?

3 - What are the orange pom-poms for?

4 - Anyone that thinks Palin was the wrong choice isn't paying attention. That place is packed. People aren't going to pack in like that to see any vp nominee of recent memory.

5 - What did she talk about?

6 - Wasn't everybody just there because they're scared of black people? (like that Al-Jazeera video posted here a few days ago) :rolleyes::lol:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Looks like you got a seriously close spot based on your camera angles.

Was it just her or were there some other people speaking too?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Basically the way it worked was this. We showed up at campus around 1130, parked and walked an ungodly distance to get in line. We stood in line for about 2 1/2 hours before the let us in. There was local news media interviewing people. They interviewed our group, I didn't say much however. They had coffee and hot chocolate since it was 40 degrees and windy. I was numb by the time we got inside. They were selling shirts and pins etc...

We went thru security where we had to take everything out of our pockets etc... thru a metal detector and on to the hall. We were realtivley close to the front because we were one of the first 200 people there. We got in and stood up front, but the lady I was with wanted to sit, so we sat for 2 hours while people piled in and people spoke.

1 - How long do this last? When I read the stump speeches, they seem short.
Her speech was about 45 minutes to an hour. This takes into account the stops for cheering and such.

2 - Is there an opening act?
Sorta. There was a girl that went up and sang for a bit, we heard from our state and local reps. Then waited, and waited, and waited... Finally her bus showed up, then it was quiet for a bit while secret service and state police buzzed around with bomb dogs etc... After about 15 minutes of that she showed up.

3 - What are the orange pom-poms for?
Lol... they were actually red. I don't know why they look orange in the video. The people were just handing shit out like signs and pom poms.

4 - Anyone that thinks Palin was the wrong choice isn't paying attention. That place is packed. People aren't going to pack in like that to see any vp nominee of recent memory.
There was 6k in that room alone. That doesn't count the 2k spill over in another hall where they had video feed.

5 - What did she talk about?
Economy, Energy, National Security and her record. It was basically a rehash of what you hear on TV. Still a good speech none the less.

6 - Wasn't everybody just there because they're scared of black people? (like that Al-Jazeera video posted here a few days ago) :rolleyes::lol:
Ya that's it :rolleyes: Including the black people that were there too. Man they hate black people too. :lol:
------
Looks like you got a seriously close spot based on your camera angles.
Ya we manged to get into the stands behind her because the group I was with didn't want to stand. Otherwise I would have been dead center. :mad:

Was it just her or were there some other people speaking too?
There were others. State and local reps spoke. There was a singer too.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Anyone that thinks Palin was the wrong choice isn't paying attention.
Okie dokie.

And then there's reality:

Harvard Law Professor Charles Fried, solicitor general under President Reagan, also has said he is voting for Obama, The New Republic reported. Fried served on several McCain campaign committees but has asked his name be removed from the committees, the magazine reported. He said in the letter one reason for his decision was McCain’s choice for vice president, Sarah Palin.

Former governor William Weld throws support behind Barack Obama - BostonHerald.com

The list of Republicans backing Mr Obama includes not only centrist figures such as General Colin Powell, the former Secretary of State, but also Ken Adelman — a leading neocon who advised Donald Rumsfeld on Iraq and introduced Dick Cheney, the Vice-President, to Paul Wolfowitz, the hawkish former Deputy Defence Secretary.

Mr Adelman admits to being startled at finding himself in Democrat ranks, attributing his defection to doubts about Mr McCain's temperament and his “appalling lack of judgment” in picking Mrs Palin. He told The New Yorker magazine: “I would not have hired her for even a mid-level post in the arms-control agency.”

Christopher Buckley, whose father helped to found the modern conservative movement, has also swallowed his right-wing principles to back Mr Obama, contrasting the Democrat's “first-class intellect” with Mr McCain's decision to pluck Mrs Palin from the Alaskan wilderness. “What on Earth can he have been thinking?” he asked.

Republican civil war breaks out behind John McCain - Times Online

Accusations between McCain advisers and those close to Sarah Palin, the vice-presidential nominee, have become very heated.

A senior McCain adviser was quoted as describing Mrs Palin as "a whack job". Others called her a "diva" and complained she had been "going rogue".

John McCain admits tensions with running mate Sarah Palin - Telegraph

"Nice lady, no experience. It's so sad. She's a gigantic drag," said Chris DePino, a Republican consultant based in New Haven, Conn.

"{The Palin pick] reinforced the notion that John McCain cared little about people like me," said former Maine state Rep. Sherry Huber, a Republican who backed McCain in the primary but now supports Obama. "She clearly does not share the values I and other moderate Republicans do."

Prominent Republicans
have echoed that idea. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., one of McCain's closest friends, suggested that Sen. Joseph Lieberman, an independent Democrat from Connecticut, would have brought independents to the ticket. Last week, former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge said that had McCain picked him, the Republican Party would have had a better shot at winning his state.

Palin drags down Republican ticket | MiamiHerald.com

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well, that was poorly worded on my part. There are a lot of people that think Palin is a drag. Many of them prominent party members. My contention is Palin playing double duty as lifting this campaign into striking range and also a scapegoat for the fact that McCain's not in the lead. I think if she's not there, this is a streamroller election for Obama. The Republican party has always been a party at war with itself. The Exxon crowd that lives on the golf course has always been a little embarrassed by the crowd that holds signs in front of the abortion clinics. Without Palin, the evangelical conservative voter is not going to show up and this election is going to be Bob Dole 2.0.

Lets look at the enthusiasm numbers before Palin was selected until just after. This is stunning:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the numbers released yesterday: (sorry, no cool graph)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the weekend poll shows that Republicans (the vast majority of whom say they will vote for McCain) have actually gained significantly on enthusiasm about voting since Gallup's Oct. 10-12 poll, despite their pessimism about their candidate's chances of winning. In mid-October, 51% of Republicans were more enthusiastic about voting this year than in previous elections; now that number is 65%. (Republicans still lag behind Democrats on this enthusiasm measure, however; 76% of Democrats are more enthusiastic than usual about voting.)
Here's a cool graph that summarizes the enthusiasm from the entire race. Keep in mind, this goes to Oct 13, so the last dot as of today will be 65% for McCain and 76% for Obama.

^^That is dismal until the convention. Graham's comments are particulary idiotic if he thinks Liberman would have brought McCain into 2-3 points. This race would have been framed as the 2 old men.

What is really laughable is all this talk about her being a drag assumes McCain would have the lead right now without Palin. The only times that McCain has lead this election has been when Palin was able to bump the ticket.

=============================================================================
This sums up what a lot of Republicans thoughts on this election:

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
^Strange, isn't it, that it took an extreme liberal in Obama and an extreme conservative in Palin to energize the voting masses like never before? I'm honestly not sure what to make of that.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
^Strange, isn't it, that it took an extreme liberal in Obama and an extreme conservative in Palin to energize the voting masses like never before? I'm honestly not sure what to make of that.
I would have to agree. Palin certainly energized me. I really didn't care too much for McCain, nor did I vote for him in the primaries. Once he got Palin on board I thought to myself "This is the person we need to get the Republican Party back".

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I would have to agree. Palin certainly energized me. I really didn't care too much for McCain, nor did I vote for him in the primaries. Once he got Palin on board I thought to myself "This is the person we need to get the Republican Party back".
Everybody I talk to says the same thing. (Obviously Pro and I don't get invited to the Republican parties on the golf courses)

I think we're just a divided country. I honestly hope that changes and we can return to a country where we can agree to disagree. You fight for your cause and then leave it in the ring after its over. My sister got into a heated argument at the hair salon last week. I can't talk to customers without them telling me how scared they are of Obama or McCain. What the hell?!? If I'm going to get in a fist fight with someone its going to be over something important, not a politician.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The thing about Palin is that a lot of people are saying she's tearing the GOP in half. Don't you guys worry that she might be instrumental in the potential rise of a Dead Bull Moose party that could split the right-wing vote and cause moderates to migrate toward the Dems?