Pakistan, American ally.

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/11/04/the-train-wreck-in-pakistan/
“I request you all to bear with us,” he said. “Please don’t demand and expect your level of human rights and democracy you learnt over the centuries. Please give us time.”

In a reference which will anger his American allies, he compared himself to Abraham Lincoln, citing the latter’s suspension of habeas corpus and other fundamental rights during the American civil war to save his nation.

“Abraham Lincoln usurped rights to preserve the union, and Pakistan comes first. Whatever I do is for Pakistan, and whatever anyone else thinks is secondary,” he warned.

However, Bhutto insisted: “He says that he is acting for the good of Pakistan but he is acting for the good of General Musharraf.”
So.. what do we think about Musharraf's argument on suspending the justice system in favour of military rule and special tribunals?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
It's bullshit, Musharraf is simply timing these movements because

a) There are about to parliamentary elections in January
b) The Supreme Court is his biggest opponent, and was considering nullifying his re-election

So this 'islamic extremism" excuse for suspending justice is a terrible one. Granted, we've done something of the same ilk, but in both cases it's flatly unconstitutional and a poor show of totalitarian undertones.

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
Pakistan is one of those countries in which political advancement is made by the Klingon method. You kill the superior above you.

As terrible as it is, he is doing what he has to do to keep the country somewhat stable. He cannot allow extremists to take over even if they takek over by election. Historically the previous ruler was hung in the main square of Karachi. Bhutto's father, a former president was executed like that when he "lost" the election.

If Musharraf loses and Pakistan is taken over by islamic extremists, along with Pakistan's nuclear arms, you have guaranteed an immediate nuclear attack on India and of course, it goes without saying that there would also be a nuclear retaliation.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
As terrible as it is, he is doing what he has to do to keep the country somewhat stable. He cannot allow extremists to take over even if they takek over by election.
First of all, you're trumpeting what he's saying.

Secondly, the main threat to his power are reform parties aimed at open democracy and his removal as military head, political head, or both. The extremism is a factor in Pakistan, however the realpolitik rationale has nothing to do with extremism.

tipsycatlover

Registered Member
You're right. That's the rationale. It's not going to work out that way, and Muscharraf knows it. Muscharraf is a strong leader, better to get a weak leader in office one who will be easily defeated.

I would bet that if Bhutto is elected, there will be a coup and Pakistan will become a fundamentalist islamic state whose first act is to drop a nuke on New Delhi. I did a lot of work with a safe house for refugee women from Pakistan who were escaping husbands and fathers who had decreed that these women should be killed according to Koranic law. I hired one of those women to be my secretary. We've had a lot of conversations about Pakistan and it's instability, as well as Islam itself. The northern provinces are as strictly fundamentalist as Afghanistan controlled by the Taliban. They are loyal to Osama Bin Laden and his ideology. They can also vote in Pakistani elections.

Pakistan is Musharaff's county. He knows more about what's going on there they you or I do. He has proved himself an ally and a moderate.

Irishone21

Registered Member
Give him time... as for Osama Bin Laden... is he not just fighting American Imperialism? Don't support his actions, but listen to him and understand his intentions.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
As terrible as it is, he is doing what he has to do to keep the country somewhat stable. He cannot allow extremists to take over even if they takek over by election.
The northern provinces are as strictly fundamentalist as Afghanistan controlled by the Taliban. They are loyal to Osama Bin Laden and his ideology. They can also vote in Pakistani elections.
Pakistan's extremist parties won only 11% of the vote in the last elections. That's hardly a threat to take over by election.

If Musharraf loses and Pakistan is taken over by islamic extremists, along with Pakistan's nuclear arms, you have guaranteed an immediate nuclear attack on India and of course, it goes without saying that there would also be a nuclear retaliation.
Bhutto or Sharif would be Prime Minister, not President (which means he'd still control the military). There's really no one else competing with Musharraf for his job.