• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Painfully memorable film deaths (major spoilers)

Konshentz

Konshentz
I think we are answering with emotional deaths because they have so much more impact on us than the gross or painful ones do.

As for painful or gross deaths.... my mind draws a blank.

BigBob

Registered Member
As someone mentioned Saw.. if I had to pick one from the Saw series, it would be the one with the football player having chains on his chin, Achilles, shoulder blades, etc.. and he has to pull each one out to live.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I think we are answering with emotional deaths because they have so much more impact on us than the gross or painful ones do.

Then how about when you get a mixture of the two? A couple of examples?:

WATCHMEN:
The demise of the troubled character, Rohrschach
YouTube - Watchmen - Rorschach's Death (HQ)

GRAN TORINO:
The violent death of Walt Kowalski
YouTube - Gran Torino End *Original*

AMERICAN HISTORY X (Again):
Edward Furlong is blown away in school, to the dismay and heartbreak of his elder brother played by Edward Norton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJ7Kvu2syk

I don't see how a blank can be drawn. Surely, you're just not thinking hard enough, or just haven't seen too many films, with some violent content.

Although, I do agree with the idea that emotional demises do have an element of higher spectacle, I do admire the way in which film-makers can set-up a scene that involves horrifically portrayed deaths. I mean, there's got to be an art to it. I think the ones where you only see a snippet of the 'act' that kills the character in question, to hold the most shock value. Having to fill in the blanks with your own imagination is pretty jarring, and affecting.

Anyway, keep them coming. Perhaps you'll decide to watch a flick tomorrow, and perhaps you'll see something that you reckon fits in here.

Cheers to everyone.

EDIT:
Just remembered another one like this, and it deserves a worthy mention. Probably responsible for Christopher Walken's well deserved Oscar, emotional and violent.
THE DEER HUNTER:
After traipsing all the way back to Vietnam, DeNiro's Michael finds his lost friend, playing with his life in the midst of a Russian Roulette gambling racket. He pits himself against his friend, in hope he may see sense and return home. It ends badly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PfXDPGgXJ8

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member

I do agree with this statement.
I am someone who doesn't watch 'horror movies' of any kind, so I can't express any certain part of a horror movie that was painful for me to watch.
I am assuming watching anything where an icepick goes thru your eye or a rabid dog chews your leg off would be quite painful to see :lol:
The movie killings that tug at my heart....have more of an impact on me.
And in my opinion...Watchmen sucked ass....I so loathe that movie.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I do agree with this statement.
I am someone who doesn't watch 'horror movies' of any kind, so I can't express any certain part of a horror movie that was painful for me to watch.
I am assuming watching anything where an icepick goes thru your eye or a rabid dog chews your leg off would be quite painful to see :lol:
The movie killings that tug at my heart....have more of an impact on me.
And in my opinion...Watchmen sucked ass....I so loathe that movie.
Yes, but I wasn't asking for what sort of death you find most impacting in a film, I was asking for submissions of those that look painful or horrific for the character, and ones that are memorable because of this. Maybe I was unclear.

Anyway, I'm not knocking your opinion, although I didn't ask for it.
But here's mine, just for the sake of it:
Watchmen did not suck, one iota. Perhaps a little rough around the edges in places, but it doesn't suck. The characters are very well established within the plot, and pretty multi-layered in terms of what they do with their life. I also enjoy the 're-writing' of the history books as portrayed within. It's pretty special. And most importantly, it has an original presentation.

And to stick to the point of the thread. Here's another film death that is both impacting and violent:
THE GREEN MILE
The end of the film. A mysterious man wrongly sent to death row, to the knowledge of all staff working there, is set in the electric chair. A seemingly horrific way to go, especially under these circumstances
YouTube - John Coffey's Execution

RATTIE

Registered Member
The French man's death in The Green Mile is fairly hideous.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
The French man's death in The Green Mile is fairly hideous.
Yes, I agree... More memorable than Coffey's death I find too... As posted above -- It's not just the emotion of this scene paying dividends either.
It's the horrific 'spongeless' way in which he is 'dispatched'.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Yes, but I wasn't asking for what sort of death you find most impacting in a film, I was asking for submissions of those that look painful or horrific for the character, and ones that are memorable because of this. Maybe I was unclear.

Anyway, I'm not knocking your opinion, although I didn't ask for it.
But here's mine, just for the sake of it:
Watchmen did not suck, one iota. Perhaps a little rough around the edges in places, but it doesn't suck. The characters are very well established within the plot, and pretty multi-layered in terms of what they do with their life. I also enjoy the 're-writing' of the history books as portrayed within. It's pretty special. And most importantly, it has an original presentation.

And to stick to the point of the thread. Here's another film death that is both impacting and violent:
THE GREEN MILE
The end of the film. A mysterious man wrongly sent to death row, to the knowledge of all staff working there, is set in the electric chair. A seemingly horrific way to go, especially under these circumstances
YouTube - John Coffey's Execution

You probably were not really that 'unclear'......it's just I don't watch the real horror flicks.
Why??
Because they are not real...none of the gruesome horrific movies that are cataloged as Saw or some of the others mentioned, are not real stuff...just movie madness...supplying the public with entertainment.
And people love that shit....good for them! :)
I would rather, and I do, sit and watch Trauma: Life In the ER...or DR. G. Medical Examiner....than to watch horror movies.
Some people like sitting and waiting in anticipation to get the pants scared off of them, I'm not one of them.....I don't mind blood and gore and icky things, but I'd rather watch the real stuff, such as autopsies, crime scenes, etc...do I make much sense?? :sigh:
As for the movie Watchmen.....yes I watched it, but only because the guy I was dating wanted to see it and he was paying.
It's OK if you like the unreal....fake....unbelievable bits of movies.
The highlight of the movie to me was Doctor Manhatten's blue ding-a-ling :lol:
*I came back to add...I did see one movie that has a particular painful looking killing scene, that would be Bonnie and Clyde.
Major shoot-out....that hadda hurt.

Last edited:

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
You probably were not really that 'unclear'......it's just I don't watch the real horror flicks.
Why??
Because they are not real...none of the gruesome horrific movies that are cataloged as Saw or some of the others mentioned, are not real stuff...just movie madness...supplying the public with entertainment.
And people love that shit....good for them! :)
I would rather, and I do, sit and watch Trauma: Life In the ER...or DR. G. Medical Examiner....than to watch horror movies.
Some people like sitting and waiting in anticipation to get the pants scared off of them, I'm not one of them.....I don't mind blood and gore and icky things, but I'd rather watch the real stuff, such as autopsies, crime scenes, etc...do I make much sense?? :sigh:
As for the movie Watchmen.....yes I watched it, but only because the guy I was dating wanted to see it and he was paying.
It's OK if you like the unreal....fake....unbelievable bits of movies.
The highlight of the movie to me was Doctor Manhatten's blue ding-a-ling :lol:
*I came back to add...I did see one movie that has a particular painful looking killing scene, that would be Bonnie and Clyde.
Major shoot-out....that hadda hurt.
I see where you're coming from, the real being more relevant.
Yet, I like both the fantastical and the real. I suppose it depends on what mood I'm in, but I watch all different types of film. Not just horror.

I especially like biopics and things like that. 'Based on a True Story' stuff. Like you said, Bonnie and Clyde, that's a real good film.
These will occasionally include death scenes that are like those that I suggest to catalogue in here. Here's an example:

FARGO:
Steve Buscemi's character is disposed of in a wood-chipper, I suspect he was dead before this, or least I betcha he hoped he was. Properly gruesome
YouTube - Fargo Woodchipper Scene (gross)

This reminds me of the film, Adaptation - Which is also supposedly arranged from the experiences of the writer Charlie Kaufman... There is a death in it, and a scene that really sticks in my head.

SCENE 1:
Kaufman is rollicked for suggesting the fantastical does not occur in real life. Apparently it does.
YouTube - Story Seminar

SCENE 2:
The final scene, the death of Charlie Kaufman's twin brother. a rather horrific way to go, via a car windscreen. -- Oscar winning Chris Cooper is also attacked and killed by an alligator.
YouTube - ADAPTATION Part 17 (Meryl Streep)

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You guys really gotta start using spoilers and using them the right way.