• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pain while chewing hard food after dental filling

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hey everyone, I had the pleasure—AHEM of having my first tooth cavity filled not long ago. Not exactly something I'd recommend.

I went with a white tooth colored plastic resin composite, and I'm not going to lie, the tooth hasn't been the same since. I had a dull pain in the tooth for weeks after the filling procedure, but that eventually minimized or went away completely. Hard to say yet, but it's been good for maybe a week at this point. However, the real kicker is that the tooth hurts quite a bit if I chew on that side on my mouth. Like a shooting pain even, particularly when I chew hard foods like dried banana slices.

I've done a ton of research online and basically found that the pain should eventually go away, but so far I'm still waiting.

I am aware of the fact that an uneven dental filling can cause your bite to be too high in that area and actually went in to get the filling corrected already. That does not seem to be the issue.

Has anybody else experienced pain while chewing hard food after a dental filling that took a few weeks to go away? Did it ever go away? It's been long enough that it's somewhat concerning, but I'm willing to give it some more time.

danwiz

Registered Member
No, never had pain while chewing after getting a new filling, and my mouth is full of fillings, crowns and so on. If it was your very first filling in your life, then I have to ask how you chose your dentist. You might want to go to a different one to try and figure out what's going on. Something is definitely not right with your tooth, quite possibly the decay was so severe that the dentist should have given you a root canal, but you told him/her to keep the price to a minimum. Second dentist.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was actually a minor cavity. I’m told I take great care of my teeth (by multiple dentists) so I wasn’t surprised it was just a small area of decay.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only time I had pain after a filling is when I was a kid. It was a baby tooth and the dentist pulled it.

I'm wondering if you have the beginnings of an abscess or if the filling is too close to a nerve. I would get a second opinion. You may need a root canal.

When you went back did they x-ray your tooth?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I get this in my fillings for my back molars on the right side. I've always felt a little pressure in the tooth from the filling and I think it sits on or near the nerve because I distinctly remember a severe pain in that tooth while it was being drilled. It got better as I got older but I still feel the pressure sometimes (and oh man don't ever let a spoon or fork hit it). Call your dentist and ask?

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I've never had tooth pains after getting a cavity filled either. I was actually quite happy with the dentist who did the fillings for me.

CooperCityFD

Are you interested in receiving dental fillings in Cooper City? If you're looking to receive dental fillings near you, it's normal to experience some discomfort in the first few days. It should not be extreme and will subside after a couple of days. If you have lingering pain, you should contact your dentist for a follow-up appointment. Dental fillings are performed to remove the decay and prevent the damage from spreading further. They should not cause you more pain. You can wait a few days to see if the pain disappears. If not, you should visit your dentist again or even get a second opinion from another dentist if the pain continues lingering.