Paella: know/eat/like it?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've had three paella conversations this week from people who haven't heard of it (and I was genuinely surprised) so I figure there might be more who don't know. :lol:

Paella is one of my favorite dishes. It's Spanish (or Valencian) rice dish that usually consists of white rice, green vegetables, tomatoes, olive oil, saffron, and may have meat (chicken), or seafood (depends on which paella it is). If you like rice dishes, you should try this. It's a bit long to cook and even those who like paella would rather eat it than cook it so I suggest you try tasting the ready made ones first.

It looks something like this:

Seafood Paella

Chicken Paella

So if you don't know about it, now you do. Up to you to try taste it and find out if you like it. :)

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm definitely up to try it. I've looked around and found some easy-novice recipes for it that I'll have to give a whirl this weekend. Unfortunately we dont have many Spanish based restaurants here (only Mexican :hah:) so for me to try it I'll have to do it myself. Fortunately the Spanish and the Mexicans use alot of the same ingredients so I wont have to much trouble finding fresh resources.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Haha the name got me confused ^^

We adress that dish as Valencian Rise, so when you asked me about Paella i didnt really connect.

Its very good specially withn Green whine

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Maybe they have a Mexicanised paella. :lol: Or ask kim if she heard of it and just keeping it from you, haha. I think they might have it in Mexican restaurants. They've been under Spain for some time and must have influenced their cuisine too.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I may try that out to... if anything just ask one of my mexican buddies.

so how is it pronounced then?

Pie-A-Luh
Pie-Yuh
Pie-A-Yuh
Pay-Luh

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I love Paella. I've always wondered what nationality the dish was. I never knew. They would have a stir fry version of it at the cafeteria here at work, and unfortunately I think they've discontinued it. Mine usually had the rice, green onion, tomato, black olives, shrimp, and sausage. I feel like I'm forgetting an ingredient though. I attempted to make this at home, and failed miserably. It was not good at all. Which is unusual, I'm usually very gifted in the kitchen.

Pie-A-Luh
Pie-Yuh
Pie-A-Yuh
Pay-Luh
It's this one.

Last edited:

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I've only had paella once, but I did really enjoy it. I remember it taking quite a while to cook though, and saffron is a bit expensive and hard to come by around here.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I love Paella. I've always wondered what nationality the dish was. I never knew. They would have a stir fry version of it at the cafeteria here at work, and unfortunately I think they've discontinued it. Mine usually had the rice, green onion, tomato, black olives, shrimp, and sausage. I feel like I'm forgetting an ingredient though. I attempted to make this at home, and failed miserably. It was not good at all. Which is unusual, I'm usually very gifted in the kitchen.

It's this one.

Pie-A-Luh
Pie-Yuh
Pie-A-Yuh
Pay-Luh
Oh LOL, it's like aluminium/aluminum all over again.

I just found out it's part of the list of words of disputed pronunciation. :lol:

paella (1) /paˈe.ʝa/, (2) /paɪˈeɪjə/, (3) /pɑˈɛlə/
(1) is approximately how it is pronounced in Spanish. (2) is the closest English approximation to the Spanish. (3) (with the /l/ pronounced) is also the standard French pronunciation.
Worse is, I pronounce it differently from those. :rotfl: Pah-el-yah, haha.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I mixed the Spanish and French pronunciation. Too bad it doesn't make me correct for both. :lol:

I've only had paella once, but I did really enjoy it. I remember it taking quite a while to cook though, and saffron is a bit expensive and hard to come by around here.
That's so true. I have a tiny vial of saffron at home and it costs way more than my other spices in bigger containers. But paella doesn't taste the same without it so I didn't go cheap and leave that ingredient off.