Padres vs. Rockies

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by njbroncsfan, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2007.
  1. San Diego Padres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Colorado Rockies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

1 Game Playoff for the Wild Card in the National League.

Early projected pitchers are Jake Peavy and Josh Fogg.

I'll go with the Padres although I am rooting for the Rockies.

2. hendu

hendu Guest

I got the Rockies winning this game. The have just been way too hot as of late not to win. And the game is being played at Coors, which helps a lot. Jave Peavy scares me, but not enough. Matt Holliday shows why he is a front runner for MVP and leads Colorado to victory.

3. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

My favorite NL team outside of the Cardinals is Colorado so you know I've got their back

Go Rocks, win it for Helton

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I am going with the Padres especially if Jake Peavy is going to pitch for the Padres, I believe he's one of the best pitchers in the National League and I believe he's going to bring is A game tonight. I don't have much confidence in Fogg, if Francis would be name the pitcher then yes I would have more confidence in the Rockies, but not in Fogg.

5. Millz

ROCKIES WIN!!!!

Oh yes there is a God baby

6. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

Wow that was amazing. I was up after midnight watchign that and damn was it worth it. Now I gotta go with the Yanks baby woot woot.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

First off I'd like to say that this was a hell of a game, now back to the game, I don't know if you guys noticed but Holliday didn't touch the plate when he slided head first in the 13th inning, so that run shouldn't of counted, and that would mean that the Padres could of still won the game. Yes I know that would still leave a man on base with two outs, but who says that the Padres couldn't get that player out?

Dont get me wrong it was a great win for the Rockies, but it has an asterix because holliday never touched the plate.

8. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

Unfortunate that a game, the last game to determine who moves on should end this way. Let me first say I am not a Padre fan, no bias on my part but the ump made two mistakes.

In all the years I have watched this game when a runner comes to the plate and seems to have crossed the plate and the ump makes no call, that means that the ump believes the runner missed the plate......hence, he makes no call.

He is waiting for the runner to get back to the plate or for the catcher to attempt another tag. In this one as the catcher moved towards the runner to make a tag... now the ump gives the safe call.................. don't get that.

Whats not being discussed much is the umpire's position. The runner is coming home and the ump is in the perfect position (look at the video) third base side, he can see the runner, a front view of the catcher and home plate.

What does he do, he moves behind the catcher and now his view is obstructed by the catcher. He can't see the catcher's mitt he can't see the plate or if the runner makes contact ith the plate............ I don't get it.

All umps know that getting into the best viewing position is very important, this guy went from the best to the worst. He was already there, why move.

9. Millz

It pissed me off that this game ended in controversy as well and I agree with everyone has said. Matt Holliday did not touch home plate. I am a huge Rockies fan and as a fan I dont mind he missed the call, obviously, but in the grand scheme of things its bad for baseball.

I firmly believe Garrett Atkins homered earlier in that game and they missed that as well. My personal opinion. The fact of the matter is umps are humans and will make mistakes. I thought had Barrett not blocked him, that Holliday was under the tag and shoulda been safe he had actually touched home.

Overall I think Colorado was the better anyways and will make for better TV for MLB because they are in. Talk about parody in baseball, damn .