Padres reportedly acquire Edmonds

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Vegito728, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres got some clarity to their muddled outfield situation Friday, making a trade with the St. Louis Cardinals to land veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds not long after talks with free agent Mike Cameron reached an impasse.

In a whirlwind of events late Friday afternoon and early evening, San Diego bid farewell to one Gold Glove center fielder (Cameron) and apparently welcomed another in Edmonds, though the trade had yet to be officially announced by the team.

The deal, reported out of St. Louis and San Diego, has the Padres sending third baseman David Freese to the Cardinals. Freese, 25, wasn't one of the team's top 10 prospects, according to Baseball America, and likely did not factor in the team's short-term plans.

In Edmonds, the Padres get an eight-time Gold Glove winner and also a four-time All-Star who is coming off a season in which he played in 117 games.

Over the last two seasons, the 37-year-old has played in just 227 games.
    The Padres will assume Edmonds' $8 million contract, though the Cardinals are reportedly set to chip in $1 million.

Edmonds was bothered by a variety of injuries last season, including hamstring, back and groin problems. He had offseason surgery on his right shoulder and left toe, though he pronounced himself fit and ready for the 2008 season.

Rest of this story: The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Edmonds will be a good pick up for the Padres, he said that he wanted to play closer to California. He's one of the best outfielders in the Major Leagues, he was injured last year, so he didn't play much, but when healthy he's a scary hitter. He also brings lots of experience, so he should help a lot of young players. If he does happen, this a good pick up for the Padres.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm happy for Jim and apparently this is what he wanted. Closer to home and a chance to play everyday. Hopefully he realizes this stadium is huge and not to expect large power numbers