Pacifiers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Boredie, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

As a parent do/did you want your child to use a pacifier?
    What are your reasons for/against using them?

As a child did you take a pacifier? How old were you when you quit? Were you forced or did you do it out of your own decision?

2. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I dunno if stories about my niece would help, but she's 2 and a few months, recently stopped with the pacifier. Over the last month, actually, she's transitioned into a "big girl bed," been potty trained, and (in her own words to my Mom) is "Binky free!" They still are letting her keep it for the time being while she sleeps at night, but every morning she happily says "here you go!" and gives it back to my brother. It can all work well with the right circumstance and technique, I guess! haha.

I didn't have one for long but sucked my thumb for a really long time - I think until I was close to 10, lol.

Thinking of my (hopeful) future as a Dad, I'd think that as long as they're done before 3 or a little after it's not a big deal on technical deadlines.

3. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I had mine till I was 5 :shifteyes: and on that 5th birthday my mum said that now I'm definitely old enough to not need it any longer. So under her instructions I threw it away in the rubbish. The following say I asked my mum where it was and she reminded me that I threw it away. My response was "oh". And that was that.

As a parent I was determined not to give any to my children. I broke after the 3rd day at home from the hospital :lol:
    I caused a great attachment between the pacifier and my 1st daughter, a mistake we didn't repeat with the second. And therefore I believe the 2nd will be able to give it up, at the given time much more easily.

Unity likes this.
  4. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I never minded my daughter using a pacifier when she was an infant at nap / bed time for "comfort". Then when I thought she was old enough to go without it, I just told her, "Okay, time to say good-bye to your "binky" you're getting to be a big girl, now" and that was the end of that. She had very little problems letting it go and that was at about 12 / 13 mos. of age.

I never used a pacifier when I was a baby- I didn't suck my thumb either.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

My daughter never took one, not because I was opposed to it, she just wouldn't. I kind of wished she would because she was a fussy baby.

I took one as a child, my twin sister and I both did and we decided to stop on our 4th birthday and that was that.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

All three of my girls had their little addictions. My oldest had the blankie, youngest the bottle, and only my middle daughter took to the pacifier. She had it until about age 3. The only problem I really had was when it would go missing and the panic set in because she wanted it, and she wanted it now!

7. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

My daughter used one till she was around 2 years old then she gave it up during the day and after a week did not it to settle for sleep.
    My boy was very on and of with them sometimes he wanted one to settle for sleep other times he would not go near them.

My niece's little girl had one stuck in her mouth all the time, then one day her mum said the fairy's were going to come buy and pick and it up, she was perfectly fine this and has not had one since that day.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'd use them early for a newborn. I'd try hard to ween my infant off of them by six months to a year old. I don't like seeing a two year old (and sometimes a three year old) walking around with a pacifier. It's actually pretty sickening.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I was obsessed with them as a kid. I don't remember the age I stopped using them, but I definitely had to be forced.

If you look through our early family photo albums, you'd be hard pressed to find a picture of me without a dummy (pacifier, whatever haha) in my mouth. Well not just one, I loved to have about 3 or 4 at a time. Normally using 3 and holding one in my hand.

10. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

I don't really have reasons for or against.

I allowed my daughter (now 14) to use one. It helped calm her sometimes. She was done with it by 15 months.

My son (now 8) never took one. He just never needed/wanted it.