Pacers Want Mitchell, But Colangelo May Not Give Permission To Talk

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Toronto Star -
Raptors coach Sam Mitchell is believed to be the Indiana Pacers ' top choice to replace the fired Rick Carlisle. The Raptors' season ended Friday when they lost to New Jersey in the playoffs.

The Pacers have to ask permission to speak to Mitchell since he is under contract with the Raptors until June 30. Charlotte reportedly also is interested in Mitchell, who won NBA Coach of the Year honors.

Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo, who has said in the past he wants to re-sign Mitchell, told Toronto reporters Saturday he's not sure he will give teams permission to talk to his coach.

"I think it depends on how the conversations go out of the gate," Colangelo told reporters. "I need to have a preliminary conversation before I can answer that fairly. It's a good question and one that I'll have a better feel for once we have a firm and concrete and realistic conversation with (Mitchell's agent) Lonnie (Cooper)."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...ut_colangelo_may_not_give_permission_to_talk/

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I wouldn't give permission to him either. I'd try and get the guy back behind my team again for hopefully a good and longer season. Mitchell did an amazing job and the Raps are smart and know that they can be a better club with him behind the bench.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
It's funny how a Coach of the Year award will make you a hot ticket during the off seaon. But he definitly deserves all the attention he'll get this year. Should be interesting to see what happens with this situation because Bryan Colangelo as a lot of interest in re-signing Sam Mitchell, but he does also have interest in bringing in an assistant coach from the Phoenix Suns.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I'd go after Mitchell. I mean look at the job the guy has done this year and it should not be that hard of a decision anyway. But aside from that I don't think its because he was a coach of the year thats why he is getting the attention. I think that the award finally made people wake up and see that maybe this guy does have a nack for being a mentor of the game and trying to bring a team to a decent level.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
He's a great mentor for young players developpement don't get me wrong. But what gets to me is that on many nights he does get out-coached. Especially when it came to playoff time. He did ajust during the end of the series, but he still lost the series because of the first few games he did get out-coached by Lawrence Frank. I know he's only been coaching for 4 years now, and these skills will only come with more experience as time goes on, so I won't be mad if the Raptors do re-sign him, but if it happens that he leaves the Raps organization for that Assistant in Phoenix I won't be mad either.