Pacers to Vancouver

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There have been reports that Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini has shown serious interest in purchasing the NBA's Indiana Pacers and moving the team to Vancouver.

Some have suggested that Pacers co-owner Herb Simon has floated the rumor that Aquilini is interested in moving the team as a way to leverage a new sweetheart lease from the City of Indianapolis.

This wouldn't be the first time that Aquilini has looked into buying an NBA franchise. In the past, he had looked into having the New Orleans Hornets relocate to Western Canada. Just how serious those talks were remains unclear.

In many ways, Aquilini's pursuit of an NBA team makes perfect sense. In addition to owning the Canucks, Francesco Aquilini and his brothers also owns General Motors Place, the stadium where the Canucks play thier home games and served as the home of the Vancouver Grizzlies during their six-year stint in the NBA. Like any good landlord, Aquilini is interested in getting new tenants, and an NBA team would occupy the stadium at least 41 nights of the year.

It also makes sense that the NBA would be interested in partnering with Aquilini. During his time owning the Canucks, Aquilini has been an engaged owner who has been not been afraid to spend money. He also owns the stadium his team plays in, which would likely prevent future squabbles with local government like the one that's taking place in Indiana.
Personally I would love to have another team in Vancouver. I am sure it would be able to work this time around.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay I asked this question when the NBA left Charlotte but mysteriously came back...

Why would they put a team in Vancouver when a team in Vancouver has already failed? Just askin.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is never going to happen.

1. The Pacers have a relatively new stadium in Indianapolis.

2. Indianapolis is a basketball city and I can't see David Stern approving of the Pacers' relocation, leaving Indiana with zero professional basketball teams.

3. The Vancouver Grizzlies were a huge failure.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Vancouver is an NBA quality city and does deserve a team, it also looks like they now have a local owner who would be commited to a team and making it succesful which is something that they didn't have in the first go around. I don't think I would like to see Indiana lose their team but I guess if you want a team you take what opportunities arrive. Ideally it would be Memphis moving back, they really don't deserve a team.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why doesn't Memphis deserve a team? Just because the team is bad?

Basketball FAILED in Vancouver...FAILED. They tried it and it didn't work. I still dont have an answer to why the NBA put a team back in Charlotte too.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Vancouver is an NBA quality city and does deserve a team, it also looks like they now have a local owner who would be commited to a team and making it succesful which is something that they didn't have in the first go around. I don't think I would like to see Indiana lose their team but I guess if you want a team you take what opportunities arrive. Ideally it would be Memphis moving back, they really don't deserve a team.
How is it an NBA quality city? The fans didn't appreciate the sport. It has nothing to do with the owner. I think you're looking at this with a Canadian bias.

Marvelous1

Registered Member
The Vancouver Grizzlies were not a failure as a franchise. The NBA systematically destroyed this franchise from the inside. They started from day 1 by placing a former NBA head office employee (Stu Jackson) in the general managers chair. The only reason this franchise was ever awarded to Vancouver in the first place was because they thought it would be easier to put a team in Toronto if they brought in two Canadian cities at the same time. Once the Raptors were established in Toronto they could then move on to stage two of their plan which was to relocate the Grizzlies to an American city. Fan support was never an issue in Vancouver. In fact the Grizzlies had far better attendance in Vancouver than they have ever had in Memphis. (except perhaps the first season in Memphis when they had the novelty factor). The one thing that may have been lacking in the equation was corporate support. But I believe that was because the corporate community came to understand very early on that the NBA's plan was to relocate this franchise. And why should they support a franchise that was going to be gone sooner than later? No the Grizzlies didn't fail. The NBA failed the Grizzlies. The real shame is they moved them to a lesser market with a far inferior building thus diminishing the league as a whole.