• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

P.K. Subban files for arbitration...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I had a long, winded, conversation with a couple of people on twitter last night and seems like none of them understand that PK filing is a good thing for the Habs and their fans.

First off - since it was PK that filed, it means he can not get any offer sheets.
Secondly - since PK filed, it means the Habs can take the option of the arbitration contract of 1 or 2 years.

What many people seem to miss is this: Filing for arbitration does not mean you will go to arbitration. Arbitration right now protects PK's and the Habs interests by not allowing another pig-headed team to step in with an erroneous offer sheet. This gives both parties a few more weeks to settle their contract disputes in peace.

...and the main thing Habs fans should realize; PK Subban will be a Hab come training camp. There will be no holding out. He will be there. Signed and sealed for at least 2 years... and in those two years, the Habs and Subban have a plethora of time to extend his contract.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Subban opted and Bergevin will likely keep on negotiating to get Subban to drop down some. I'm sure they're likely close to a deal now, or they're at a number where Bergevin feels comfortable to sign Subban to.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
BadNewsJays said:
I'm sad he can't get offer sheeted. It would serve them right if they had to grossly overpay for him, after lowballing him for the past few years.
Looking back it would have been smarter to have signed him long-term, but during that time giving him a bridge contract was the best option for the Canadiens organization. He hasn't fully develop and was still very immature at that point.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Some fans are saying he's going to wait two years to sign that lengthy extension as the cap will be at an all time high..which would make sense for PK. But on the other hand, there's always a possibility of an injury or regression that would downsize his tag price. I predict both parties are working on the extension as we speak.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I'm sad he can't get offer sheeted. It would serve them right if they had to grossly overpay for him, after lowballing him for the past few years.
That lowball worked out in PK's favour more than it did the Habs. With the new TV contract, Subban's new contract will be taking that in to account. If he would have signed a long term deal 2 years ago - he'd be missing out on +10-15 million over the course of that contract compared to the one he's about to sign.