Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Sooo...who ya got?

Who would you take in the field?

Who would you take at the plate?

Who you would take on the whole?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is very tough since both of these guys are arguably the best defensive shortstops to ever play the game. Their range were tremendous, sometimes you'd asked yourself how the heck did they get to this ball.

But with that being said, if I would have to make a choice I'd go with Ozzie, I think he's more clutch and slightly better defensively then Omar. But you couldn't go wrong with either one if you needed a great defensive shortstop.

3. Millz

You really couldn't go wrong either way but I bet its not hard to figure out who I'm going to side with on this one...Ozzie Smith.

Ozzie played most of his career on Astro Turf, and in his prime had the best range I have ever seen. He also played SS with a torn rotator cuff for multiple seasons.

4. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I actually compared the after reading this thread, and Omar just barely edges Smith. Omar has a better career OBP, AVG, more hits, HR, RBIs. He has a better fielding percentage and less errors. He also has the most games played by a shortstop ever. The only difference that people might point to Smith are his 13 gold gloves compared to 11 for Omar, and although Smith has more errors than Omar, he also has almost 1000 more attempts. Overall though, I say Omar is better, but not by much.

5. Millz

Fielding percentage and errors can be deceptive though because with better range you're going to get to more balls that you may not be able to make a play on. So having better range can hurt a player in that they create errors for themselves.

Just looking a little deeper comparing the stats at http://www.baseball-reference.com/co...mithoz01.shtml shows a bigger difference I think than just quoting errors and fielding percentage.

On Fielding percentage alone, you'll see that although Ozzie's was lower, both players were 13 points above league average when they played. Does this mean the SS's were better in Omar's era, or does it mean scorekeepers were more forgiving? Then virtually all the other stats there seem to favor Ozzie... some by quite a bit. Again, I can't begin to tell you how meaningful those numbers are... I just know on defense you have to dig a lot deeper than the surface stats like errors and fielding%.

6. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

I was looking and it doesnt look like they kept range factor stats for Smith, which to me is the best indicator of fielding.

I will have to go with Vizquel though, just by a nudge. No shortstop in my mind ever turned double plays better than Omar and that, coupled with a better bat, gives him the nod in my books.

7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

At the field, definitely The Wiz. He could ANYTHING he wanted to at short. Maybe the greatest defensive shortstyop ever.

At the plate, I know this may sound crazy, I'd Smith. Earlier in his career he wasn't much of a hitter (more of a good field, no hit kind of player) but he decided that he was going to dedicate himself to becoming a better hitter than he did and wound up finishing with just under 2,500 hits. His freak home run off the flame-throwing Tom Niedenfurer is still something I can't believe actually happened.

Overall, I'd take Smith easily. No contest. No disresspect to Vizquel, who was a fine player in his heyday himself.