Own Goals

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by RTWmaniac, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RTWmaniac

RTWmaniac Registered Member

Is it me, or does the term 'own goal' get thrown around way too easily these days? I thought an own goal is supposed to imply a blatant error that directly scores a goal. Nowadays, it seems any deflection off of any defender is labeled an own goal. A most recent example is Man Utd's first goal against Arsenal on Jan 31. An Almunia own goal? Is it just me? I don't get it.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I haven't seen it but yes, as I understand, as long as the ball touches the defender before it hits the goal then it's contre son camp (own goal).

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

The player who caused the ball to go into their own goal is personally "credited" with the goal as part of the statistical abstract of the game unless a goal is scored after a shot (by the attacking side) is deflected into the net by a defending player. In that case, officials determine if the original shot was on target. If so, the attacker is awarded the goal, even if the shot would have otherwise been easily saved by the goalkeeper. Some scorers will give credit to the attacker if the defender's mistake caused the own goal, similar to ice hockey.