Ovechkin's "football" celebration

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I try not to be hypocritical, and if theres one thing I've always said its that some of the football celebrations go way overboard, they mock the other team or they are just to much out of the way.

This is riding the fence pretty hard on being a little overboard. I still laughed and felt it wasnt bad, but I can see where alot of people are going to say it was to much.

Heres why I dont find it overly out of line:

#1: The stick is a sacred item in the hockey world, anyone that plays or has watched can realize the hockey stick is pretty much the symbol of hockey in a sense. If reading from a bible is the connection to god in religion, then deking a dman out of his shorts and beating the goalie topside is the best connection a hockey player can get to the hockey gods.

So worshiping the stick is nothing new. What I take from the celebration is he's not saying the goalie sucks, he's just saying he's got a hot stick tonight. I dont know if he racked up any other points that game but 50 goals in a season is pretty damn substantial. I mean he's a damn good player, I'd like to see some of these other hacks that complained about the celebration match that feat of his.

#2. if you look it wasnt that organized, he just scored skated around and dropped the stick. So I could be wrong but I dont see this as overly premeditated. I mean yeah I've been in the locker room myself and told the guys "you watch if I get a goal tonight I'm gonna slide into the wall!" so I'm sure he said in his goofy Russian accent "if I score number 50 tonight, I celebrate like stick on fire". But that didnt require any props, no cellphones stuffed in the netting :hah:

#3. Come on its Ovechkin, this guy just loves the game. I see no track record of him being a dick to just be a dick. He scores goals he celebrates, this one got a little over the top; but as I already said its 50 goals in 1 season, thats reason to celebrate.

Those are my top 3 reasons for not believing he's out of line. Now if this were just an every day goal for him, yeah it would be a different story. I mean a two goal game that provides Goal #12 on the season just isnt as substantial and deserving of notoriety as Goal #50 on the season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I personally found it funny, I don't see how it could offend anyone. I know it was in Tampa Bay and they were losing by four or so goals, but he just scored 50 goals which is not an easy task, he's allowed to celebrate a bit. Also I like what Ovy said, if you don't like them, then just don't watch me.

I agree with you two, I thought it was funny and well deserved. I don't want to see a bunch of people doing 'football-type" celebrations from now on, but I don't mind these kinds of things. I was upset at the NFL when they tried to ban them, although for soemthing that is banned, I still see it an awful lot. I say he can do it every season at 50 goals, I don't care.

Turbo

Registered Member
i loved it, there isn't enough individuality in hockey. yes it is a TEAM sport but every guy has the right to celebrate a goal however they choose. i think this was great for him since he hit 50. and of course if it would've been Crosby than no one would care because he's to golden child.

I cannot stand Crosby. I hope if he scores and celebrates, that someone knocks his block off. Ha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was watching an interview with a hockey player, can't recall his name right now, and he mentioned that thirty years ago, players got mad at the Russians because they were a machine and they showed no emotions, even if they got into a fight. Now people are complaining because some of the Russians are showing emotions after they score. This is exactly what Ice was mentioning, players agree as well.

Also if Ovechkin scores 60 goals he might have another planned celebration he said.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was watching an interview with a hockey player, can't recall his name right now, and he mentioned that thirty years ago, players got mad at the Russians because they were a machine and they showed no emotions, even if they got into a fight. Now people are complaining because some of the Russians are showing emotions after they score. This is exactly what Ice was mentioning, players agree as well.
Its the truth though to! I mean you watch some of the old hockey documentaries around and thats exactly what Russian hockey was painted as... a well oiled, very respected, unemotional Machine. And they said that was their biggest downfall was their lack of emotion.

And its hilarious to me how those roles have switched from between the North American powers and the Russians.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
As everyone probably knows, I don't like celebrations or showboating, but I don't see anything wrong with this one at all. It's not like he skated out to center ice to make himself more visible.