Ovechkin laughs off Cherry's on-air criticism

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

FOX Sports on MSN - NHL - Ovechkin laughs off Cherry's on-air criticism

I respect Don Cherry, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to hockey, he might be a little stupid and doesn't know how to pronounce some Europeans names, but he still knows a lot about hockey.

But I have to disagree with him on this one, personally I don't mind the celebration after each goal from Ovechkin, I believe he's extremely entertaining and he brings a lot of excitement in the arenas he plays in. I don't he think he should stop one bit.

What do you guys think about Ovechkin's celebrations after he scores a goal?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Its Raw Emotion and Excitement. I love it and its the reason I love Ovechkin.

I've said this a few times already, but its really neat to compare North American Hockey to Russian hockey over the past 30 years. 20-30 years ago, Russian Hockey was nothing more than a machine, a well oiled, well executed machine that dominated the game. North American hockey was emotional, raw power and excitement. They played cause they loved, the money wasnt near as good as it is now so there is more to base the argument on the love of the game instead of the paycheck.

Now a days, its almost like the tables have turned. Alot of North American Hockey has a tendency to play like a machine. Coaches in the little leagues pound through their skaters heads "Dont celebrate, act like you've scored a goal before". And its led to alot of stone faced players. Crosby once in a while will celebrate, but he's a great example of a Score and Skate away kinda player.

Now I look at Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, and all the other younger generation Russian born players and they are the ones that are playing with Excitement. They are excited to be on there and they definitely show it when they score. So for that, I have to say I've earned a huge respect to ANYONE, no matter what nation they play for that shows they are excited to be on the ice.

To me, Heart is what Hockey is all about and Ovechkin is the kind of player thats all about Heart. Don Cherry can slob on my Knob. He's just bitter its not a Canadian Born Boy out there racking up the attention like Alexander the Great is.

Millz likes this.
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree with everything that you mentioned, but what really caught my eye is the pararagh that I bolded. I think your 100% right on that statement, I think Cherry is very bitter that a Russian is leading the league in goals, and it's not a Canadian player. Also it doesnt help that Cherry isn't a fan of European players in the first place, he's said it many times, and he'll keep saying it till he dies. He wouldn't be making this statement if it was Thorton or Nash celebrating like this.

4. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

i agree with icegoat completely.

i miss the days of celebrating goals like you really accomplished something instead of the group-hug and off the ice routine we see now.

i agree that i starts with the pee-wee leagues because parents want everyone to feel special. BULLSHIT, a goal is worth celebrating so I say hoot and holler all you want. it'll inspire more people to get involved and excited about the game.

5. icegoat63

I was thinking the exact same thing. It'd be a whole other story if it were Crosby doing a Celebration after a goal. He'd be complimenting him on how excited he is to be out there. I'll agree with you that Grapes is a damn knowledgeable guy when it comes to the game of hockey. But He's also a damn proud of where he's from and will never ever bend his traditionalist views to give someone like Ovechkin a pat on the back.

I wanted to add this to, there is a huge difference between an Ovechkin celebration after a goal compared to some of the other celebrations I've seen in other sports. A goal celebration is quick and spur of the moment, its not a conscious effort to mock the other team. Other sports have soured me away from them because their celebrating has gotten to much into mocking the other team rather than just the excitement of success. This is another reason I feel the Ovechkin Celebration is more called for than the skate away version. To me if I were a netminder I'd rather someone be overcome with excitement that they scored against me rather than stone faced. I mean theres an underlying psychological message right there between the two! :hah:

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  6. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

Cherry is always jumping on non-Canadian players. Crosbitch has done nothing but whine and moan as the Pens began slumping. The irony is they're playing better the last 3-games without the little baby, yet Cherry treats him like he's the golden child when he's nothing.

7. icegoat63

yeah I've screamed it since Day 1 that Crosby was over rated and only as hot as the media made him. To me, yeah he's a great player but he's not the next Howe, Lemieux, or Gretzky. At least not with the Pens IMO. Players like Malkin and Jordan Staal have already proved they dont need Crosby to be a solid team.

That right there is a big show of how he's not as inexpendable as everyones made him out to be.

8. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

amen to that ice...odd thing is the pens could be moving staal.

i'd love to see cherry rip crosbitch now that the pens are doing better without him.

9. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

There's a point in which I consider something excessive celebration but I've never seen that from Alex. Let the kid have fun for crying out loud.

icegoat63 likes this.