• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Ouija Boards

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never actually used a Ouija board, I would like to try one just to see if they are real but I know that they can scare people and people do think there are forces that just shouldn't be messed with. A few weeks ago I was very drunk at a friends house with someone else who was sober, I asked for a mirror and started shouting "bloody mary" into it, he was okay at first but then I started requesting that the devil come down to me and make his presence seen.

Now I have respect for other religions, I am interested in Satanism etc so I don't wish to offend anyone but how do you feel about them? Is it messing with forces it shouldn't? Is it no just a bit of fun? Has anyone asked you to participate?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I've used one.
When I was about 15 I had a sleepover with a few friends, and I asked my dad to buy us a ouija board off the internet because we were all curious. I don't remember what excuse I gave him but I said we didn't intend to actually use it. When it arrived the day before, me and my brother sneakily used it just to test it out. It 'worked' and we spoke to someone named Gus. It was really, really slow at first but then the mover thingy (can't remember what they're called) picked up pace and it was scary. I wasn't really convinced though because I don't trust my brother to not move it himself, haha.

So then I used it again the following night with my friends, and was convinced they work. I don't remember all the details of what happened because we used it several times that night, but I do recall us all taking our fingers off one by one and I was the last person on there and the triangle thing was still moving. My fingertips went extremely cold at one point. The freakiest moment I remember was *Edit: I got that story wrong...here.... The TV turned on by itself (after it had been off all evening) to the Lizzie McGuire show, and we asked "so do you like Lizze McGuire then?" and the pointer moved to "yes".

My mum was mad at me when she found out we actually used it, because she had a 'bad' experience once. She was messing with a glass ouija board one with her 2 sisters one evening, and when they came downstairs the next morning, the glass was shattered all over the place.

So yeah, I don't actually know whether these are just coincidences or what. I do believe that a hell of a lot of the time, people are moving it themselves, even if it's subconscious and they don't even realize. The mind can play tricks on us and I don't know how much of the stories I hear about them are true.

Last edited:

IKnowKungRoo

Registered Member
Seriously? I would have been completely freaked out.

I have never actually used one myself because I have never been able to completely convince myself that things like ghosts and spirits and such arent real, and you hear stories of things going badly wrong. Urban legends I guess, but I once heard of some kids who used one, and got in touch with a seriously angry spirit that latched onto them and basically haunted them for a while - screw that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
After seeing the movie the Exorcist there's no way I'd even consider using one of these and Rebecca's story just confirmed that I made the right decision haha

I remember seeing one at my friends house and thinking how crazy he was for even owning one.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
They don't work, they never have worked, and they're meant to be a form of entertainment. A toy.

IKnowKungRoo

Registered Member
They don't work, they never have worked, and they're meant to be a form of entertainment. A toy.
You're pretty lucky that you can just rule it out like that.
Its not so much that I think something definately WILL happen, but I can't be 100% sure it wont ....and with things like that, if you arent sure don't mess.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Its not so much that I think something definately WILL happen, but I can't be 100% sure it wont ....and with things like that, if you arent sure don't mess.
In things actually related to the paranormal, I'd agree with you. But ouija boards as we know them were designed, developed, marketed and sold as a toy and a novelty. In fact, IIRC, Parker Brothers still have a copyright on the term "ouija board". I have extreme doubts that anything that could come from a toy company could be used to contact the afterlife.
------
I stand corrected; it's a registered trademark of Hasbro. Who sells it as a board game.

Yeah, my doubts aren't exactly lifted.

Last edited:

IKnowKungRoo

Registered Member
I did not know that. Honestly I figured that they were at least based on some sort of long-standing lore or religious practice.

Still not sure I completely trust them though.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I've never used one before, and the idea freaks me out a little. I was brought up always to fear things like that, and I'm not sure I could shake it to use one even for fun or anything.

The whole bloody mary in the mirror would freak me out. I probably watch too much Supernatural.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've heard you should never use a Ouija board by yourself, why I'm not really sure. I think its because you could invite demons into your home. I used one as a kid but nothing happened so we never tried it again. I do believe in ghosts because I have seen one before, since that there is no way I would use one.