Movies Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

... and the nominees for best picture are Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood. Other categories are listed here. I've only seen one of the five best picture nominees--No Country for Old Men--so I can't really toss down an opinion on who should win. I did think that film was fantastic, though. What say you?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I've never really followed these before...Are they supposed to be practically the same movies over and over or is that just a coincidence?

I've never seen it, but my cousin said o Country for Old men was a complete waste of money, so...

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees. My only interest in the Academy Awards this year is whether Roger Deakins will finally win for cinematography. He was totally robbed of the Oscar for O Brother Where Art Thou.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm really hoping that Juno wins some awards, because the main actress from that movie is Canadian, and supposely she does an amazing movie protraying a young pregnant women. I haven't seen it but I've heard great things about the movie from friends and reviews.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I hope so too, MJ - Diablo Cody was a member of another message board I used to be on. I didn't know her very well, but we're all pulling for her.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I want Juno as well. I've seen a good chunk of it and thought it was witty, and just amazing.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I was surprised to find out she was 30(?). I swear they hired a child/teenage actress or something. She looked like a kid in X-Men too.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

She's not 30 Oxy she's only 20 years old, and yes shes the kid that plays in X-Men, this girl has a bright future in my opinion, and if she keeps at it she can become a very successful actress, which is awesome because she's Canadian.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

oh. oops. I don't know where I got 30 from.

That'd be pretty weird. :D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  10. Jason Marcel

Jason Marcel New Member

This is probably the best set of nominations to come down the pike in a few years. Like every movie nominated in all the categories are worth seeing.

I'm really happy that Tommy Lee Jones got a nod for In the Valley of Elah, which was unfairly neglected. I'm glad they didn't forget Laura Linney in the Savages, another really good movie. It's about morbid things, but it's surprisingly funny.

I think it's the Coen Bros. turn to win this time. The Academy sort of works that way a good deal of the time. No Country will take Picture, Director, while Javier Bardem has it all wrapped up for Supporting Actor. I hope Roger Deakins wins, too. He got nominated twice this year, for his cinematography in No Country and the Assassination of Jesse James, which is probably the best shot movie of the year. You can just drink it in at times.

I think it's between Julie Christie for Away From Her and Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose. Both of those movies are Top Ten worthy too.

I think Daniel Day-Lewis is going to win pretty easy, but I prefer performances that are more subtle and that reveal more about character. I'd probably have to say I'd vote for Tommy Lee Jones or George Clooney instead. Clooney's in pretty much every scene of Michael Clayton and he's never been better. There isn't an ounce of ego in that performance. Nothing that gives you the sense he's a major movie star. He's smart and sad, a little beaten down, and he simmers along perfectly and creates much of the tension in that movie on his own.