"Originality"

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
#1
I got this from Pojo and thought I should bring it here. It seems intresting so please do comment.


This isn't a CC vs. originality thread.

The term "originality" is being used extremely loosely on these forums. People say "I run original decks" when in reality they don't, not be a longshot. "Unconventional" is the right term. And this isn't really about using the correct term over people thinking they're innovative.

XYZ decks aren't original.
Plant decks aren't original.
Fire decks aren't original.
Wind decks aren't original.
E-Hero decks aren't original.
Archfiend decks aren't original.
Frog decks aren't original.
Ojama decks aren't original.
Gaia decks aren't original.
Dark Magician decks aren't original.
Red-Eyes decks aren't original.
Single random tech card A doesn't in your CC deck isn't original.
And throwing a bunch of random incohesive themes together to make a deck isn't original.

Soul Control WAS original.
Zombies that side into Trap Dustshoot/Mind Crush beatdown WAS original.
Pacman/Camel Control WAS original.
Magical Explosion OTK WAS original.
Skill Drain/DW with a Rat Engine IS original.
Royal Magical Library/IRS WAS original.
Tundo Equalizer WAS original.
Burn/Stein WAS original.

The point is, it just irritates me to see people post their themed deck and tout themselves as original as if they said "hey...this card's called X-Head Cannon...this card's called Y-Dragon Head and it equips to X-Head Cannon...and Z-Metal Tank and it equips to X-Head Cannon and Y-Dragon Head...ZOMG I KNOW. I'LL MAKE A DECK BASED ON ALL THESE CARDS!!!11111 WHY HASNT ANYONEZ THOUGHT OF THAT!!!11111"

Yes, that Wind deck is unorthodox. But it's as unoriginal as Chaos Return. Anyone else feel the same way?
 
C

Cheekie3

Guest
#2
technically, a deck is only 'orginal' when you are the first person to makie that deck, so all decks were orginal for a very small amount of time, but when someone else make the same type of deck it is no longer orginal.

however when i think of orginality, i usually refer to decks that are fairly uncommon in tornament play.
 

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
#3
Cheekie3 said:
technically, a deck is only 'orginal' when you are the first person to makie that deck, so all decks were orginal for a very small amount of time, but when someone else make the same type of deck it is no longer orginal.

however when i think of orginality, i usually refer to decks that are fairly uncommon in tornament play.
Well then the two of us have different ideas. If Konami makes cards that suppor t deck then it isn't orginal. I say this because they layed out a deck for the public. How ever a deck like soul control was original because that wasn't maped out.
 
F

fauyd

Guest
#4
variants of decks that were original are original though I would say. Like if I took a Fire Deck and made an OTK out of it, that could be original if I was the first to popularize it, right?
 

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
#6
Mr. Blur said:
thus concluding this game has no originality and will turn out like pokemon. woo.
Actually this game will not turn out like what you think of Pokemon. Pokemon actually stoped all the problems they had. How do you ask? It's simple. They banned all their original sets and then made new ones.
 
#7
im saying it will end up like pokemon meaning that the popularity will exponentially decrease as time goes on. maybe not as fast cause it is a lot less kiddie than pokemon, but nontheless.
 

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
#8
Mr. Blur said:
im saying it will end up like pokemon meaning that the popularity will exponentially decrease as time goes on. maybe not as fast cause it is a lot less kiddie than pokemon, but nontheless.
May be, but I don't think so. People like to play Yu-Gi-Oh! for one reason or another. As for Pokemon it didn't die out. Just a new generation of players. They are still a strong game.
 

Turbo

Registered Member
#9
yugioh and originality died when IOC was released and Chaos decks were created. the only way to solve the current problem of no originality in yugioh is to ban or restrict the cards being abused in every tournament deck. there are certain cards in the game currently being overused and abused because they can be. by banning some of those cards or restricting them then the decks will start changing.
 

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
#10
TurboniumNY said:
yugioh and originality died when IOC was released and Chaos decks were created. the only way to solve the current problem of no originality in yugioh is to ban or restrict the cards being abused in every tournament deck. there are certain cards in the game currently being overused and abused because they can be. by banning some of those cards or restricting them then the decks will start changing.
All the sets from AST down should get banned if it's that much of a problem. Or people can just have faith in other decks.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE PEOPLE WILL PLAY WHAT WINS.