Original Sin

Corona

Registered Member
Is there original sin? Is humanity damned from the beginning? Is a man born guilty? Discuss original sin.

Me, I personally detest the concept of original sin. I do not accept any guilt which I have not earned. And I certainly won't accept the guilt for what a man a woman who's existence is even questioned supposedly did in a garden.

If original sin exists, if guilt is passed like genes from father to son, then the descendants of slave owners share the guilt of their slave owning forefathers. The baby resulting from rape is as guilty as the rapist father.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I believe that original sin doesn't mean that we're guilty for sin we didn't commit - it just means we have a sinful nature (and thus will commit sins of our own).

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I always thought that original sin referred to prostitution.

However, no I don't believe that I can be held responsible for something I didn't do.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Original sin is following the story of Adam and Eve who achieved free will by sinning by taking fruit from the tree of knowledge thus damning humanity. Although, I thought God was forgiving so I find it a hard buy that God would hold a grudge against every single other human being because his original design failed him.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
Original sin is following the story of Adam and Eve who achieved free will by sinning by taking fruit from the tree of knowledge thus damning humanity. Although, I thought God was forgiving so I find it a hard buy that God would hold a grudge against every single other human being because his original design failed him.
- His original design did not fail him. Get your theology right.

- God is perfectly righteous and perfectly just. Therefore, he punishes all unrighteousness. What is so confusing about that?

- God became a man and died to save you from hellfire. That doesn't sound like a grudge to me.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Adam and Eve both failed to follow God's orders, hence, they failed him. I don't know what bible you're reading, but from the bible I'm looking at right now, I see that pretty clearly. Sounds like a disappointment to me.

So you believe Jesus is not God's son, but God himself?

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
Adam and Eve both failed to follow God's orders, hence, they failed him. I don't know what bible you're reading, but from the bible I'm looking at right now, I see that pretty clearly. Sounds like a disappointment to me.

So you believe Jesus is not God's son, but God himself?
- Ok, I must have misinterpreted your post. To me, it sounded like you said that God's design malfunctioned.

Yes, Adam and Eve both disobeyed God. Their bodies did not malfunction, they made a choice, and God intended them to have the ability to choose.

I believe Jesus is God the Son, and therefore God Himself. I will admit, it is difficult to understand the Trinity of God. I myself don't understand it nearly as much as many laymen.

Bjarki

Registered Member
I see the concept of original sin mostly as a way to explain the 'current' natural order.
According to the bible man was created in the image of God, and thus, as a perfect being. This contradicts what we see around us. Thus there had to be an event leading to the imperfection of man.

Original sin is a perfectly logical explanation.
If sin were not heriditary God's creation of man would have been imperfect, which contradicts YHWH's nature. Only the breaking of an oath long ago may explain why even children are evil, or rather, not entirely good.

As much as the concept of original sin may induce feelings of guilt, it also provides you with the opportunity to truly achieve salvation. It's not difficult to acquire salvation without any challenges, only through hardship can you prove yourself worthy of God's blessing. That's what the story of Job teaches us.
It's up to man to decide whether he chooses a life in sin or a life in virtue. If we don't give in to our hereditary sinful nature we free ourselves of the ancestral sin and return to the state we were in back in paradise: the image of God.