Movies Original Movies vs. Sequels and Trilogies

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I kind of got into a discussion with Altan about this in another thread so I wanted to start a new thread about this and see what people thought.

Do you tend to prefer the first movie in what ends up being a 2 or 3 (or more) movie franchise or have you found that you like the sequels better?

Take Jurassic Park for example. The first movie had such a deep plot going on and the second was basically Jurassic Park: King Kong edition. The third was utterly unbearable and shamed the name.

I've not always found this to be true. Take the X-Men movies. I liked X-Men 2 the best. The first was not really that great and neither was the third but the second really stood out for me. Generally with superhero movies I tend to prefer the first movie in the series because it establishes more plot and how the person became the superhero. The sequels usually don't do much aside from adding a villain or two into the mix. This makes for good entertainment but for some reason these plots always seem weaker than the firsts, to me at least.

So which do you tend to prefer, the first movie in a series or the sequels? Give some examples to explain your answer.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I almost always prefer the first movie over the sequels. There are only a couple exceptions that I can think of. Back to the Future Part II was just as good, if not better than Part I, but I did not like the third one as much. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was my favorite Star Wars movie. And The Last Crusade was by far the best Indiana Jones movie in my opinion.

For most movies that have sequels, the sequels are afterthoughts and only made to try to feed off of the success of the original movies. The stories are usually not as deep or engaging.

Bliss

Sally Twit
The Godfather Part I and Part II were really good where as part III wasn't to the same standard.

The Matrix was awesome and I preferred it by a million miles to the other two films.

Back To The Future 1 and 2 were just as good as each other but the third one sucked in my opinion.

I usually prefer the first film to sequels. They don't usually live up to the first one if it was a good film.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I mostly like Original movies. I can only think of certain sequels that lived up to the hype created by the original (or even surpassed it): Terminator 2 and the Godfather 2.

Somehow for others, I think they make a trilogy because the sequel was a flop, and they need to make up for it somehow.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't think there's anything inherently better about 1st movies or sequels.

X2 was better than X-Men, and TDK was better than Batman Begins.

Sequels often make the mistake of just trying to ride on the success of the first one, or trying to do the same thing over again. On the other hand, especially with comic book adaptations, the first movie often has to go into the origins/background more, and the 2nd movie has more freedom to move forward.

Hiei

The Hierophant
To me, it all just depends on the movie itself. The biggest movie that I can think of is the Matrix. I loved all three of the movies, but I liked the second and third ones over the first one. When I think about the Matrix, I typically tend to talk about the second and third ones as one movie, because it basically is. In fact, the second one literally just cuts out at the end, and the third one picks up right where the second one left off. And I'm pretty sure they cut it in half so that it wouldn't be one five hour movie.

That said, I liked how Reloaded and Revolutions had more story and how Neo was truly the One, yet he still remained remotely human and you could see it weighing on his conscious. But of all of the Matrix movies, I'd actually say I liked the Animatrix the absolute most. It explained exactly how the world got to be the way it was, and just made the other movies make more sense.

There are some really good trilogies as well, that I couldn't pick a favorite out of. The Addams Family movies, for instance. I thought they were all on par with each other. I thought the entire Hannibal Lector series was really, good too. None of them really stuck out as better than the rest or worse than them all.

Wade8813

Registered Member
To me, it all just depends on the movie itself. The biggest movie that I can think of is the Matrix. I loved all three of the movies, but I liked the second and third ones over the first one. When I think about the Matrix, I typically tend to talk about the second and third ones as one movie, because it basically is. In fact, the second one literally just cuts out at the end, and the third one picks up right where the second one left off. And I'm pretty sure they cut it in half so that it wouldn't be one five hour movie.
That's a good point about movies feeling "cut in half".

I watched (most) of the Matrix trilogy for the first time within a few days of each other, so I didn't really notice any sudden cut off.

But when watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2, I absolutely hated it because the entire movie was just adding on more and more conflict - nothing got resolved, and I couldn't see part 3 until it was released several months later.