Optimism vs. Pessimism

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Twitch, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Are you usually optimistic, or pessimistic?

I feel like I'm right in the middle. I'm optomistic, then I become a little pessimistic just to keep myself in check, make sure I don't have my head in the clouds.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm a balance really. Some days I can be a total pessimist about life but others, I'm seeing the glass half full. More often than not I'm optimistic about things, but lately it's been slightly harder.

3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I would say that I'm mostly optimistic in hoping for the best, but I also try to prepare myself for the worst.

4. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I prefer to call myself a realist, but really I'm a pessimist.

I have zero faith in Humanity, and very little capacity for hope. It's not really so much that I see the glass as half-empty; I see it as already have been spiked, stolen, or spat in. :dunno:

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I'm an optimist. Don't know why. It's just how I am. (I guess I just figure I can endure whatever gets tossed at me, and that lady luck's been really kind to me, all things considered.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm pretty much always optimistic when it comes to other people. With myself, then it largely depends on which of my 2 moods I'm currently in.

I guess most of the time it's a mixture of the two, like I'll think: "everything's probably going to go wrong, but it will be ok in the end."

7. Sarphire

Sarphire New Member

I used to be pretty optimistic, but after the living Hell (ofc there's no pun intended *snort* ) I've had to suffer for the past year, I guess you could call me pessimistic. Some even says I have symptoms for Bipolar Disorder, so hey, go figure.

8. stevenfermi

stevenfermi Registered Member

Total pessimist. Unless I'm having my delusions of grandeur moments, where I am unnaturally optimistic. But life usually has a way of meeting my expectations.

9. PhoenixOverdrive

PhoenixOverdrive Registered Member

Used to be pessimistic all the time. Then again I used to plan everything. With a plan B, C, D, E and F. Nothing caught me by surprise. I was never really happy either.

Now my default setting is feeling great. I don't worry about the issue anymore. Eyes on the prize.

10. Zappa

Zappa Registered Member

I'm pessimistic when things are going well, and optimistic when things are going poorly.