• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Optical Illusions

dDave

V.I.P.
Shreks thing on saying the colored words correctly got me thinking about optical illusions,

This post looks rather long but it really isn't

here are some of my favorites
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to let you know, that circle in the middle is perfectly round

----------------------------------------------------------------------
heres another one
This one really bothers me I just can't make myself believe it.
By simply rearranging the shapes (without altering them at all) there is one square missing

This one really bothers me I just can't make myself believe it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another one that will mess with you
Those lines are perfectly straight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

this one is interesting

Those knights on the chess board are the exact same color.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my all time favorite.

Stare at the dot in the middle of the top square (the one with the colors) for 30 seconds, then after 30 seconds immediately switch to focusing on the dot in the bottom box (the plain white one)

If done correctly you will see that red and blue on the top row switch places and yellow and blue on the bottom row switch places.

the colors should switch places after you start looking at the white box.

If you have an optical illusion that you would like to share, I would like to see it.

Post your favorite optical illusions.

If you disagree with any of these let me know, because I checked all of them myself to make sure that they are correct.

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
The only one that looked weird to me was the one with all the black boxes and the straight lines. There are a lot of illusions that don't work for me because one of my eyes is lazy.

dDave

V.I.P.
yeah some of those can be really hard to see if you don't have good vision, there are some that I can't get but I can get most optical illusions, including magic eye images.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The one with the triangles is crazy. Where did the square go?

I've seen the chess board one before, but that one is crazy too.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah that triangle one is still bothering me, I just can't figure it out...

Nobody tell me I want to figure out on my own.

I think that the one with the colors switching has to do with the color receptors in your eyes being slightly worn out from seeing too much of one color so then it goes to the opposite.

Psyco

Food Whore
I think that the one with the colors switching has to do with the color receptors in your eyes being slightly worn out from seeing too much of one color so then it goes to the opposite.
For me atleast, the dark blue is the opposite of where it should be. Thats probably got to do with how what you see is upside down when its hits your retina.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tried the color switching one and it didn't seem to work for me. Maybe I was staring at it wrong...

The triangle one actually was just about to drive me mad when I took a closer look at it. It's actually quite simple. I've posted an explanation below as a spoiler tag. I suggest not reading it until either A, you give up, or B, you already have your own theory that you think is correct. (I am 100% positive that my theory is correct BTW)

DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU WANT TO FIGURE OUT THE TRIANGLE ONE ON YOUR OWN:

If you look closely at the angle of the top line of the red and blue triangles, you will notice that (from the left corner of each) the red has a SLIGHTLY smaller angle than the blue. This makes the top of the first image slightly concaved, and the lower image slightly convexed. By looking further, you'll notice that the second image has room for an empty square because the top of the shape is taking up SLIGHTLY more of the empty squares n the grid above it than the first image is. :D

I love visual puzzles. I prefer them to optical illusions because they make you think more.

dDave

V.I.P.
I had already figured out the missing square one by the time that I read that, to do the color switching one simply stare at the little black dot in the middle of the colored box for 30 seconds, after staring at this for 30 seconds quickly switch to the white box below and stare at that black dot, the colors will switch places.

dDave

V.I.P.
Here is a magic eye image, I won't tell you what you are supposed to see.

Answer
You should see the faint shape of a heart in the picture