TV Oprah Winfrey going off the air...

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's right The Oprah Winfrey show will be ending in 2011 after her 25th anniversary of the show.

Do you care?

Personally I don't care for the show, only seen a few episodes, but I have to give her props because she's done so many good things for charity and she helped a lot of people on that show and worldwide.

2. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Her charity work will be remembered....and for being one of the best tv personalities in the history of television.

I personally don't care....but I give her credit for being on the air this long.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Never really watched it so can't say I care too much. We've still got Jerry Springer.

4. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Can we have a link, Babe?

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

She is an average TV personality and I could care less if she continues the show or not. I don't watch that crap anyways.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

She's not going off the air. She's just going off whatever network she's on now, and doing her own show on her own network.

If she ends up deciding to retire, then I don't really care either.

7. Moki

Moki Registered Member

"The Oprah Winfrey Show," one of the most successful franchises in TV history, will come to an end in September 2011, as the former Baltimore talk show host commits her energies to launching a cable channel with Maryland-based Discovery Communications.

Winfrey, who got her talk show start at WJZ in Baltimore TV, will make the announcement on her show Friday, according to WABC, the ABC-owned New York station that carries the show in the nation's largest TV market.

The syndicated program, which debuted in 1986, has been a gold mine for the owned and affiliated stations that use it as a lead-in to their early evening newcasts. The program airs here on WBAL (Channel 11), the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate.

Ending in 2011, will give Winfrey's landmark show a run of 25 years. It is the most lucrative and highest-rated show in syndication.

Winfrey, 55, is ending the show so that she can devote more of her time to the start of her own cable channel, OWN (The Oprah Winfrey Network), which will be a 50-50 partnership between her and the Maryland-based Discovery Communications.

OWN was scheduled to start at the end of this year, but the date has been changed several times, and 2009 no longer seems likely. Winfrey reportedly told staffers at Harpo Productions that she will not do a talk show on OWN. But she could be saying that so as not to be seen as "competing" in any way with "The Oprah Winfrey Show," which has contracts it must obligate through Sept. 9, 2011.

Winfrey was one of the founding partners in the Oxygen cable in 1998, but she said the channel did not reflect her voice and she eventually ended her relationship.

One of the most interesting stories will be the way Oprah's move in 2011 re-aligns early evening news ratings in cities form coast to coast.

-taken from the Baltimore Sun-

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I personally am quite glad she's off the air.

She's one of the misguided voices of this country and with the size of the fanbase she commands, her misinformation can single-handedly alter the country. I was especially fond of her talking about the terrorist group "Anonymous" when one of her lackeys decided to tell her about 4chan.

Basically, she's a twat. I'm glad she's leaving.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I love that video. It's the one about pedophiles, right? :D

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't care much one way or another since I never watched her show, but I have respect for everything she's done.