• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Opposition leader killed in Moscow

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The top opposition leader - Boris Nemtsov - was shot to death in a drive-by shooting in Moscow. He was Vladimir Putins most epic critic and some people are calling the murder a provocation. His Ukrainian GF wasnt hurt in the shooting.
BBC News - Russia opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Probably just a gang that didn't like the fact he spoke out against the war in Ukraine but Putin could have had something to do with it. Never know.

Seems a lot of people are being murdered for speaking their minds lately. Guess some can't take an opposing view.

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
Very sad. A blow for democracy in Russia.

Wheter Mr Putin was involved in this I couldn't say, it certainly suits his cause. Either way he has been upping the ante in recent months, playing the nationalism card. And the trouble with doing that is once you let the nationalism genie out of the bottle, it's mighty hard to get it back in...

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
He was killed to death? That's a bit harsh. I mean, killing the guy I understand, but not to death. :D

- Cham
Oh I only borrowed the title from the article in the Kremlin news. =/

Anyway I seriously doubt that Putin was involved since Nemtsov was the top opposition leader in RPR-PARNAS (Republican Party of Russia - Peoples Freedom Party) and that Party is one of the least popular Parties in Russia.
So even if he was speaking out against Putin, even Pussy Riot would be a bigger threat.

But its still possible that his speeches set off some loyal Cossacks or something. But it could still only be a vengeance killing. I will be watching the news to see if anyone learns any more about this.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
A couple of fall guys from the troubled Caucasus region ... Doesn't ring true to me.
Nemtsov was in Moscow organizing a rally against the civil war in Ukraine when he got offed. A lot of the volunteers for that war are from Chechnya so yeah it does add up. One of the suspects did a suicide bombing in Grozny when the police tried to arrest him. Mostly its people from the north Caucasus that wanna go to east Ukraine and fight with the ethnic Russians against Kiev.

And dont forget that Kadyrov (the governor of Chechnya) offered to send thousands of volunteers to east Ukraine. Chechnya totally is dedicated to protecting the DNR and Lugansk so no way they wanted that rally to happen in Moscow. Offing Nemtsov was probaly the only way they could stop it.