• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Oppenents fans in home arenas

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
I'm sure you've all seen what Nashville is trying to do to keep Blackhawks fans out of the Bridgestone tonight and Friday. First they told STH the only resale of their playoff tickets will be back to the team for 10% profit an d it will be credited to next years seats. Failure to do so will result in ST revocation. Also online sales were limited to people in zip codes with Preds TV coverage. They've gone as far as requiring you to bring the credit card you bought the tickets with to gain entry in some cases and your entire party must enter together. I also understand they have asked NHL ticket exchange to block posts of resales for Preds home playoff games. Stub Hub is saying they will get you into the game. All seems really extreme because your fan base will not fork out the money for playoff tickets and you're embarrassed because your home arena gets taken over by visiting teams.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have a similar but much less strict ticket sales policy that was restricting sales to those with a Florida zip code. I've heard some others are or may try to keep opponents fans out as well using the Tampa Bay model.

What are your thoughts? Do you think this is legal? I know there is all sorts of revocation of license wording on the ticket back but I've never seen "you may be refused entry for rooting for the visiting team" before.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Senators are also doing the same thing. Only selling tickets to people that live in the Ottawa area. Well, I imagine it will still be 60% Habs fans and 40% Sens fans at the Canadian Tire Centre.

I understand that they're looking out for their fans, but this is idiotic. If the opponents fans want to make the trip, and it's the only way to see their team in the playoffs, because it's cheaper, then by all means let them.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its stupid. If your fans don't wanna come or aren't as passionate than the opponent then too bad, so sad.

willge87

Registered Member
The Senators are sandwiched in between two original six franchises. I suspect the Canadiens might enjoy quite a bit of support in Ottawa proper. I'm thinking many of the Franco-Ontarien population in the Greater Ottawa Area cheers for Montreal as do many people living in Gatineau. Plus, Ottawa is only a 1 1/2-2 hour drive to Montreal and even less to the Quebec/Ontario border (along the 40 not across the bridge to Hull).

The Maple Leafs, well, they would have a lot of fans who are students at the University of Ottawa or Carleton I think. Whenever I used to go to Leafs-Ottawa games, I'd see a lot of students there. Are there as many Leaf fans who live in Ottawa? Perhaps, but I suspect not as many as Montreal. These are people who cannot afford to go to the ACC or are coming from areas east of Toronto such as Belleville and Kingston.

The result is that, yes, you end up with a significant portion (if not majority) of the fans at CTC for those games cheering for the opposition. I'd be interesting to see if it is a generational thing and as time goes by whether that home disadvantage goes away.

Florida is ridiculous for this as I have related many times. The late-December teams scheduled for Sunrise this year were Toronto, Montreal and an assortment of other original six and high-profile teams. They get good crowds out of it, but end up having most of the arena cheering against the Panthers. They would be stupid to attempt to "ban" opposing fans as they contribute to the only decent gates they get.

If you look at the trend, we're usually talking about teams who have their share of visiting fanbases all year long filling their arena, taking away that home field advantage. I kinda understand their reasoning behind it but it's impossible to fill the arena solely with your fanbase. I think that a lot of fans would probably find a loophole anyway to get in and being able to cheer the opposite team.

I also think it's beyond ridiculous, personally. If you have to resort to limit or ban the opposing team's fans out of the building, that means that you suck at creating that feeling of attachment to your team. And that also means that you must fire everyone in your marketing & PR department 'cause they're not very good at their job.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I understand the idea in theory, but I don't really agree with it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
willge87 said:
Did it work in Ottawa? There were clearly Hab fans there, but at the same % as normal? I don't watch Sens-Habs games enough to judge.
I'll be able to give a better judgment Wednesday since I'll be there, but it did sound like it was 80% Sens fan and 20% Habs fans.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Obviously I can't comment as well as someone who was at the game could, but from what I saw on tv there were a good amount of Habs fans there but not as many as I've seen there in the past. I remember watching a game in 2010/11 where about 75% of the fans in the lower bowl were Habs fans, whereas I'd say that last night it looked like a touch over 1/3 of the fans in the lower bowl were Habs fans. But I have no clue what the norm is these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sophia NFL 11
thealigator Wrestling 9
mint_lowbatt Music 2
Rapier NFL 3
Alph0x Sports 0