Opinion vs Beleif

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What's the difference between beliefs and opinions??
    Is there any?

Below are the definitions:

Opinion:
    a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty
    Opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something
    eliminates editorialized words or statements.
    a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in one person's mind about a particular matter

Belief:
    any cognitive content held as true
    Belief is assent to a proposition.
    This means that an individual is convinced of the truth of a statement or allegation.

Thoughts?

2. An opinion is inherently subjective, it can't be proven or disproven (beyond a reasonable doubt) regardless of the means emplyed. "Blue is the greatest color" is an opinion. "Chicken tastes terrible" is an opinion. Any qualitative subject will have opinions around it.

Beliefs can be opinions like "I believe this is the best thing to do", however they can also be objective in that an actual truth does exist. Either you do believe this to be the best course of action, or you do not. "Black holes exist" is a belief, but, it's one that has an objective reality. "God exists" is also a belief and also objective, although beyond our ability to "know".

An opinion is something that can vary person to person and still be valid. A belief can vary from person to person, but there is a possibility of right and wrong, truth and fiction.

3. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Beliefs are opinions....

A belief is confidence (or trust) in something that is unkowable (something that can't be proven true or false).

If it is proven true then it isn't labeled as belief. Instead, it is labeled as knowlege.

4. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

The dichotomy isn't between opinion and belief. It is between opinion and fact.

Opinions have a truth value (true or not true) regarding subjective statements

Facts have a truth value regarding objective statements.

"The moon is made of cheese" is a fact with a truth value of 'not true'.

"Pink is better than blue" is an opinion with a truth value of 'not true' because I don't really hold that opinion.

Beliefs describe what an individual holds to be true and can encompass both opinions and facts.

5. ChinUp

ChinUp ยค Breathe

When your addressing provable phenomina .. opinions, theory's are the order of the day .. ie a scientific belief is an oxymoron ..

When addressing things that are not provable .. ie. love .. beauty .. belief is the realm .. for example a person can believe they are in love .. it is not an opinion that can be proven or disproved .. it is a belief ..

Different areas of thought call for different terminology .. both opinions & beliefs are guesses .. the difference is beliefs deal in things that cannot be certain where opinions operate in the realm of certainty .. opinions don't require any faith or trust .. beliefs do ..

6. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Opinions tend to be based in facts. A political opinion tends to use facts and statistics, though in a personal perspective.

Beliefs can also be like such. "I believe that Candidate A didn't have sexual relations with that woman" could use affadavits and other evidence. However, things such as "I beieve God created humans" doesn't have any factual basis, and thus are different than opinions.

Of course, we're all giving opinions here, so nobody is wrong or right, which kind of makes this thread useless. Interesting, but useless.

7. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

An opinion can't be proven while a belief can.

8. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Not all beliefs...example: theists and atheists can't prove their sides....

9. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

Weak atheists don't have to prove anything. They don't assert existence and they don't assert non-existence. Oh, right... I forgot who I was talking to.

10. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/presumption.html

Read that...

Weak atheism is merely a form of atheism....look at the term.....weak atheism is two words....the first being weak and the second being atheism....weak is an adjective describing atheism. They don't believe in good...they just merely look at it differently than a strong atheist.