Opinion on baby name?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Doc, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

My wife is having a baby girl on Feb. 22. We haven't really settled on a name yet. We also decided that we would throw some names out to friends, the internet, and so on to see what other people thought. It's not that we're letting others decide for us, it's just something we're doing for fun to read the responses and get a good feel for how each name will fair.

Here's the short list:

Emma Leigh Shaw

Kara Lynne Shaw

Annabell Lee Shaw

Madalyn Michelle Shaw

Sophie Michelle Shaw

We're learning towards the first name, Emma Leigh. There's two other names in the list we're very high on, also, but I didn't put them in order of preference

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I like the names Sophie and Madeline (spelt that way, and kind of only because it can be shorted to Maddie which is cute). But as for the first name AND middle name combos that you put up, Emma Leigh is probably my favourite.

Doc likes this.
  3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

The one that feels the best to me is "Sophie Michelle". I mean the others are beautiful and unique. But for some reason that one is just sticking out to me more so than the others.

If I had to pick one that was on the absolute opposite of that spectrum, I dislike "Emma Leigh" the most. Just my personal opinion though, dont hold much more than a used dixie cup.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i like Anabelle Lee.
    Though i don't understand why there are 3 names in every row. i guess Shaw must be your last name.
    what about Leigh, Lee, Lynne, Michelle?
    is it a custom for every baby to have 2 names and then the last name?

5. Doc

Shaw is my last name.

And we usually have three names. First, Middle, Last. The last name is the family surname and most people try to pick a middle name that compliments the first. Middle names hardly come up in everyday conversation.

Ice, I find it interesting that you don't like Emma Leigh. It's easily better than the other variation of that name we were going with -- Emaleigh Brianne. I wasn't so big on that one.

And the first/last combination aren't all static, it's just those are the ones that made the most sense to me. Sophie Michelle might be my new favorite, though. Sophia is another option but I like the sound of Sophie more. I was trying to stick with traditional Irish names but most of the common ones are taken.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

you guys dont have Middle Names in Albania?

Thats how it is over here, we get first name, middle name, and surname. Heck some of the Catholic-Mexican families go with 4 names... "First name - Grandparent Name - Second Name - Surname"

Those are usually a mouthful and a crack up to hear teachers or instructors rattling them off :hah:

7. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Emma Leigh and Kara Lynne are probably the best up there imo. I don't like the last one at all, the initials make SMS, so you daughter would have the initials of a text message. Kids are mean in school, they find anything to tease people about. Annabell and Madalyn just seem like kinda old school names, so yeah, the first two.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I like Kara without Lynne and Sophie without Michelle. I am not a big fan of middle names.

Doc likes this.
  9. Doc

We were considering Emma Leigh Brianne Shaw for a while, too, because the four part name didn't seem like a bad idea at the time. I would only use four names if it was an absolutely perfect fit.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

How else is the kid going to know when it's in trouble. Pretty sure the only time my middle name ever got used as a kid was it being yelled when I was in the shit.

Doc and Bliss like this.