Opeth

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hiei, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Following on the words of a shitton of people that I've talked to, I decided to listen to them awhile back and I can't get into it. I've heard most of the people say that they're a great melodic death metal band, but honestly, all that I hear when I listen to one of their songs is some guy with a whiney voice singing about shit that bores me. To me, it's exactly like listening to Stone Sour. Maybe one or two songs that I can dig, but that's it.

And I know there's people on here that listen to them, what are your thoughts?

2. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

I have a friend that is really into Opeth, I've never understood why... I respect that he puts it all together himself but there's not very much depth to his instrumentals and I just cant follow bands that sing softly then go into screaming.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I checked them out on Itunes... didnt buy the cd. I found them weak, also whiny like you said.

Just not my cup of tea. I've actually been real into Slipknots latest CD, thats been more of a joy than anything really.

4. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I really like Opeth.

Have you listened to 'Bleak' and 'The baying of the hounds'?

If you don't like those then you won't like any of their songs.

5. R1pperZ

Meh.. I was going to buy Slipknots new CD, too bad it's just Stonesour with more vocals. They've never been the same since Subliminal Verses, I say they should never have gotten back together. Only reason they did get back together is for money.

6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Some of my friends really like Opeth, I'm not much of a black / death metal fan but my mate sent me one of their songs. I think it was called "Window pane"? I remember I thought it wasn't all that bad.

How does it measure up to the previous albums? I didn't like psychosocial much. I will get it though, just to ease my curiosity even though my angry music days are pretty much over.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

8. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

Then Opeth isn't for you, sir.

9. R1pperZ

Definition of Melodic Death is Dark Tranquility...

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I dont necessarily categorize Slipknot with Death Metal. To me they are more of a Mainstream Metal than anything. Sorta like an Avenged Sevenfold or Killswitch Engage.

Pyschosocial is my favorite track on that album, friggin love it. In my opinion its a solid CD. This is oddly enough my first Slipknot cd.... I dunno why I neglected to give them any attention prior to All Hope is Gone.