• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Operation Fast and Furious

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
House Panel Slams 'Fast and Furious' Gun Operation Tied to Border Agent's Death - FoxNews.com

Either I've been living under a rock for the last 6 months, or this is the most under-reported news story I've ever seen. Quick summary from wiki:
Operation Fast & Furious is the name of a illegal gun trafficking sting run by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) which has become the subject of controversy and a U.S. congressional investigation. During the operation, at least 2000 guns were released and tracked by ATF agents into Mexico, many of which have been linked to at least 150 shootings. Of the 2000 guns knowingly released by ATF agents, only 600 have been recovered by officials. The remaining 1,200 guns have not been recovered and possibly remain in the hands of drug gangs.
Thousands of guns were allowed to walk across the border and somehow this was going to bring down the drug cartels. That's insanity. The blood of many people including a border agent, are on the hands of the ATF.

Just reading about this. Any additional info anyone has would be great.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Another reason why the War on Drugs is one of the biggest disasters in US history.

I heard about this last year and was equally baffled and angered. I can see why they would leak guns, it does make some sense. You can obviously track the guns (I'm assuming they were tracking them) and trace the flow of the illegal weapons trade and probably bring down a lot of criminals. However it's backfired on them heavily these past years so to me it seems like there's been some serious lack of attention on the ATF's part or they've failed to take the necessary steps to keep the operation a bit less messy.

After some quick Googling, it seems that the president nor AG Eric Holder authorized this operation which makes you wonder who gave it the green light. I understand the need to curb the flow of illegal weapons in this country especially from the border but this is not the way to do it.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
This has been a story for quite a while, not much attention from the mainstream media. I have a hard time believing that allowing 2000 guns to be purchased by straw buyers wasn't authorized at the highest levels. Especially with the talk of some ridiculous false statistics about the US obtained guns being used in Mexico.

This smacks of an anti-gun administration playing fast and loose to create a reason to further restrict access, especially to "assault" style weapons.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I've been hearing about this for awhile, and I can also see why it's being done. But, as Merc pointed out, it seems the ATF hasn't taken the necessary steps to fully implement this operation. It's been a failure and now we have thousands of guns in the hands of the drug cartels.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This smacks of an anti-gun administration playing fast and loose to create a reason to further restrict access, especially to "assault" style weapons.
Nah, read up on it some more. They're trying to follow the flow of illegal firearms as a way of getting to the heart of the Mexican drug lords that are now raking in profits thanks to the War on Drugs which has made drugs easier to obtain and far cheaper than ever before. I highly, highly doubt it has anything to do with gun control. They are using guns as bait because in the illegal drug trade, it's almost more vital to have firepower than the drugs themselves.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
O'Grady: A Drug-War Plan Goes Awry - WSJ.com
At the same time, violence was spiking in Mexico. In an email dated April 2, 2010, the group's supervisor reported that in the month of March "our subjects" had purchased 359 firearms and that 958 people were killed in Mexico in drug violence. It was the bloodiest month since 2005 and included 11 policemen in the state of Sinaloa. As another agent interviewed for the staff report said: "We were all sick to death when we realized . . . what was going on or when we saw what was going on by the trends. We were all just, yes, we were all distraught."

Well, not all. The agents interviewed say supervisors viewed the bloodshed with chilling indifference—or worse. As the report summarizes, "An increase of crimes and deaths in Mexico caused an increase in the recovery of weapons at crime scenes. When these weapons traced back through the Suspect Gun Database to weapons that were walked under Fast and Furious, supervisors in Phoenix were giddy at the success of their operation."
By any measure the 40-year-old war on drugs has been a failure. One unintended consequence is the financing that the sale of prohibited substances provides to gangsters who then buy guns. That's bad enough. But when the ATF puts making the big cartel bust above human life, it's a new low.
The ATF has always been a shit stain for many Americans regardless of political persuasion. But this is absolutely unconscionable. As these guns were flooding Mexico, the number of murders was spiking and the ATF higher-ups were "giddy at the success". What an incredible disregard for life these bureaucrats have. Is it because the people killed were Mexican? Everyone has ties to Mexico. For me, my oldest daughter was born there and her family lives there. I hope everybody that knew about this ends up in jail. What complete bastards.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is what is really, really fucked up though. We know the War on Drugs is a complete and utter failure that has done the exact opposite it set out to do. Hell, it was only started as a way to distract people from the more pressing issues at the time. It costs taxpayers tons of cash and now it's costing people their lives. Can we just cut this now?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Nah, read up on it some more. They're trying to follow the flow of illegal firearms as a way of getting to the heart of the Mexican drug lords that are now raking in profits thanks to the War on Drugs which has made drugs easier to obtain and far cheaper than ever before. I highly, highly doubt it has anything to do with gun control. They are using guns as bait because in the illegal drug trade, it's almost more vital to have firepower than the drugs themselves.
I have read up on it and I think it is the stupidest f-ing idea I've ever heard. What, did these guns have homing beacons on them? Who, in their right mind, would think that this would be a good idea?

Not to mention, when the Mexican president Calderon blamed the US for guns used by criminals in Mexico and Obama said nothing.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I have read up on it and I think it is the stupidest f-ing idea I've ever heard. What, did these guns have homing beacons on them? Who, in their right mind, would think that this would be a good idea?
I'm sure they have agents planted in strategic enough locations that they could track those guns as they sold but I think the quantity was too much and the methodology far too sloppy.

Not to mention, when the Mexican president Calderon blamed the US for guns used by criminals in Mexico and Obama said nothing.
What is he supposed to say when he didn't even authorize it? That's part of the problem (that's why I asked you to read up on it) is that no one knows who authorized this sting.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
O'Grady: A Drug-War Plan Goes Awry - WSJ.com

The ATF has always been a shit stain for many Americans regardless of political persuasion. But this is absolutely unconscionable. As these guns were flooding Mexico, the number of murders was spiking and the ATF higher-ups were "giddy at the success". What an incredible disregard for life these bureaucrats have. Is it because the people killed were Mexican? Everyone has ties to Mexico. For me, my oldest daughter was born there and her family lives there. I hope everybody that knew about this ends up in jail. What complete bastards.
I couldn't agree more. I place a lot of blame on the Mexican government for the amount of corruption and letting it get to this point. But I also blame our government for these kinds of decisions. It's beyond argument the War on Drugs has been a colassal failure.