• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Open Office

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Has anyone used the free Open Office download? (openoffice.org) It's a word processing program that's free, and supposed to be comparable to Microsoft Word. It's been around for years; I'm downloading it right now because I have to make some changes to a document for my grad school practicum, and I don't have office here at home.

(1) Have you used it, thoughts?

(2) Is it able to open Word format documents, and save them back to .doc or .docx format? Just curious about that one, for my purposes.

If this works, it'll save me an early trip to school to do some work at the library :lol:. Plus I can at least have something comparable to Microsoft Office until I can buy it.

Impact

V.I.P.
I actually use Open Office because i'm to cheap to pay for Microsoft Office. I find it just as easy to use, and it's free so that's always a bonus.

It does open MS Word files, and once saved, MS word will open them. I just checked with my trial version of MS Office. When you save with Open Office, it will create a new file however, and not just amend the original from MS Word.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'd rate Open Office Writer at about 80% of Word. Open Office Calc is not a suitable replacement for MS Excel, but overall the suite is fantastic for the 'price'.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been using it for a few years. The writer program works fine for what I need it to. I haven't had any problems opening the files in Word and vise versa. I even created my invoices in Writer with tables that add together, etc. Not too complex but I was happy that I was able to do this in Writer as opposed to buying Word.

Like MIT I've also heard that the Calc program doesn't quite compare to Excel, but for what I've ever used Excel for it does just fine. I just do simple spreadsheets mostly.

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
I've used it since it's full release.

It's a good alternate. Remember that by default, it will mark a new document as .odt, you have to select .doc when saving it. Then you can open it in Word.

Kirkland

It's a nice alternative but the problem I have with it is the fact that it always saves in .odt unless you specify otherwise. I can't tell you the amount of times I have gone to print out my work on a usb only to find that I forgot to save it as a .doc.:mad: Its the main reason why I will always use office because I know I will forget to convert if I used open office.

EuroFight

Registered Member
I used OpenOffice.org for a while, and I found it VERY useful. Unfortunately, I found some compatibility problems, and soon had to do work at my local library. After that, Microsoft Office 2010 came out, and I managed to purchase Microsoft Office 2007 for just £15 from eBay! It's a simple soloution to a common problem.

Hope this helps!

EuroFight

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Yeah I always have to save as a .doc if I'm emailing a paper, I'm VERY used to that haha...I have Microsoft Works, but it looks like Open Office will work better for my needs of editing a Word file.