• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

One Uppers

BigBob

Registered Member
How do you guys deal with "One Uppers"?

For those of you who don't know what it means, it's a person who always has something better then what you did.. for example:

"I just bought a new TV."

"Yeah, well I just bought two new TVs."

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I have never met anyone like this in my life but I guess they are pretty annoying. If they want to show off that they ALWAYS have something better than you.. then it's not worth telling them what you did/have.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Why do you care, Bob? You do have two TV's and they are side by side. ;)

Like Elly said, I wouldn't bother telling them stuff. I do know someone just like that and not many people like her funnily enough.
I did once brag about something I had to her and she tried to go one better but I told her to stop stealing my thunder. People like that annoy me.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I have never met anyone like this in my life but I guess they are pretty annoying. If they want to show off that they have ALWAYS something better than you.. then it's not worth telling them what you did/have.
I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered someone like this. But, for the record, most people that one up you, one up you AFTER you've already told them whatever it is that just happened.

----

One year, I broke my arm pretty bad. Broke the radius in half, and twisted and splintered my ulna on my left arm. Worst break that I've ever had in my life. I was in a cast for about six months, luckily though, I didn't need surgery to fix it and it didn't break the skin. That said, about a week after I broke my arm, my grandma developed what she calls "traveling arthritis" which would move from her left ankle to her right shoulder, then to her right hip, then to her left arm, and just jump around like that. (that's physically impossible)

Sometime shortly after that she said that her left leg shrunk about three inches for absolutely no reason. My grandma is a one upper but more in a hypocondriac way. What I do to deal with her, is that I simply don't. I've removed her from my life and I've never felt better.

BigBob

Registered Member
Why do you care, Bob? You do have two TV's and they are side by side. ;)
Haha, I was just using the TV thing as an example, you ass :lick:

With these types of people, I feel the need to do to them exactly what they do to everyone else. Obviously I feel there are no people more annoying then them and I feel like I work with a lot of them. There was this one girl that one day me and some friends would be talking about something and then about an hour or 2 later, she would mention the same thing +1.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered someone like this. But, for the record, most people that one up you, one up you AFTER you've already told them whatever it is that just happened.
It's not that hard to believe. I've heard of many people who are "one uppers" but haven't met any in person.

Hiei

The Hierophant
It's not that hard to believe. I've heard of many people who are "one uppers" but haven't met any in person.
It might not be hard for you to believe because you've never actually encountered these people before in your entire life. Never. Not once have you ever come in contact with anyone that's ever even remotely tried to one up any story that you've ever told in your entire twenty two years. I believe you, I really do. I fully believe you when you say that you've never had that happen.

Maybe it's just HARD FOR ME TO PERSONALLY BELIEVE because I live in America. The land of entitlement and there are so many people that will do anything in their power to sound like the biggest shit that's ever walked this earth. I just find it hard to believe that there aren't people like that in Albania. That's not to say that they're not there, though. Just saying that I PERSONALLY FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I just find it hard to believe that there aren't people like that in Albania. That's not to say that they're not there, though.
But I didn't mean to say that there aren't people like that in Albania. Of course there are many ones like that[and maybe worse]. Albanians aren't any better than Americans or vice versa.
People are the same everywhere but having met all of their types in person is not necessarily possible.

shelgarr

Registered Member
The first thing is that people like that do not remain my friends. If I happen across one-uppers, I keep conversations short. Just yesterday my Dad thought his 11 mile walk was more tiring than my 3 hours of tennis. I just said back "I don't think so". Luckily he lives far away and left this morning to go home from his holidays here.

I've dealt with one-uppers a variety of ways. If they are new to me and we are in a conversation and they out-do me once, I'll entertain their accomplishment politely. If it happens again I might try to show interest but than return back to the topic. If they do it enough that I can tell it's habitiual, I'll won't acknowledge it. I continue my conversation as though I didn't hear them.

I am as irritated as me me me me me people as I am one-uppers. Just today at tennis my opponent was on and on about herself. It astounds me how people think they are so interesting. Uh....no.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I do have one friend that does this and I've met several other people like that as well. They like to brag about themselves and they want people to praise them for the things they have or the things they've done. I find that they typically don't care much about others, and I'm typically not friends with this type of person.