• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ONE PIECE - Creation and conception

BlackCat

Registered Member
Hi people! Well, Im new at the forum and I got kinda impressed when noticed theres no ONE PIECE section!! I believe this anime deserves a section since it has a lot of fans and have made selling records!! You can google it if u dont believe me... :)

One Piece was the anime that caught my attention when I first saw it. At first, I was kinda dissapointed because of the character design, "where are those bigs, deep and brighty eyes commons in anime?" I said to myself. I even didnt recognize it as an anime, but somehow I kept watching how the story goes. The more the story developed, the more I was getting stuck to it. Soon, I forgot my complaints about the "strange" character design and began to assimilate how they were made, now I love em and Im convinced their design are unique and somehow perfect. But, putting the design apart, one thing that caught even more my attention was when I realized that the author created many of their characters based on actual people. Sure many of you have noticed, but this is something that I see really interesting since I love history.

So, here I put a list of some of them. Hope you enjoy it, and maybe encourage you to watch the manga/series.

RORONOA ZORO (STRAW HAT PIRATES 1ST OFFICER)
Based on François L'Olonnais (1635-1668), who was a french pirate captain that travelled the Caribbean.

SANJI & RED LEG ZEFF (STRAW HAT PIRATES COOK & BARATIE HEAD CHEF)
Both characters based on Red Legs Greaves, an scottish bucaneer given the Red Legs nickname because of the poor white people who lived in the colonial Barbados.

JEWELRY BONNIE (ROOKIE PIRATE CAPTAIN - ONE OF THE SUPERNOVAS)
Based on Anne Bonny, and Irish female pirate very active in the Caribbean.

EUSTASS KIDD (ROOKIE PIRATE CAPTAIN - ONE OF THE SUPERNOVAS)
Based on both, William Captain Kidd, a scottish sailor; and Eustace The Monk, a mercenary and pirate.

X DRAKE (ROOKIE PIRATE CAPTAIN - ONE OF THE SUPERNOVAS - FORMER MARINE CAPTAIN)
Based on Sir Francis Drake, a vice admiral, captain, privateer and even a pirate on the Elizabeth I era.

LAFITTE (BLACKBEARD'S PIRATES CREWMEMBER)
Based on Jean Lafitte, a pirate born probably in France.

BARTHOLOMEW KUMA (ONE OF THE SEVEN ROYAL SHICHIBUKAI)
Based on Bartholomew Roberts, a welsh pirate captain who travelled from America to West Africa.

CAPTAIN MORGAN (FORMER MARINE CAPTAIN)
Based on Henry Morgan, a welsh admiral.

ALVIDA (ALVIDA'S PIRATES CAPTAIN)
Based on Awilda, a scandinavian princess who ran away and turned into a pirate until she found her true love.

BASIL HAWKINS (ROOKIE PIRATE CAPTAIN - ONE OF THE SUPERNOVAS)
Based on Sir John Hawkins, an english admiral.

SCRATCHMEN APOO (ROOKIE PIRATE CAPTAIN - ONE OF THE SUPERNOVAS)
Based on Chui A-poo, a notorious South China pirate captain.

BELLAMY LA HIENE (CAPTAIN OF THE NEW ERA PIRATES)
Based on Samuel Bellamy, AKA "Black Sam" Bellamy, who was an English pirate.

BLACKBEARD (CAPTAIN OF THE BLACKBEARD PIRATES, FORMER ROYAL SHICHIBUKAI AND PROBABLY THE MAIN ANTAGONIST OF THE SERIES)
Based on Edward Teach, a notorious english pirate, better known as Blackbeard.

Well, those are as many as I know, if you want to know more about the actual people you can search more about them on wiki. If you can continue the list, please go ahead.

Of course, theres a lot more to talk about One Piece, like the Ouka Shichibukai which is based on the English privateers from the Pirate Era, etc. So whats do you think? Share your knowledge about this manga.

Waiting for your replies... ;)

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Anime in general is weird, but One Piece is extremely weird and has exaggerations that go far beyond the usual anime. I believe this gives the anime its comic appeal and is responsible for its wide popularity. I don't watch it though - I've seen a few episodes and it is hilarious.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Yes, it doesn't make much sense that One Piece doesn't have a section with both Naruto and Bleach. Their explanation is "It's not popular enough around here." but honestly... None of the anime sections have been very active at all.

One Piece is shattering records all of the time over in Japan while Naruto and Bleach are losing popularity. In fact, Bleach is really losing popularity because everybody thinks it is a big joke now.

Apparently One Piece is a little popular around here. Popular enough to warrant FUNimation picking it up for a Simulcast when they have said that they hate starting Simulcasts in the middle of an anime (they haven't even done it for Dragon Ball Z Kai. Ponder that.), and popular enough to warrant a speed-up in manga volume release from VIZ. Bleach hasn't had this "speed-up" but One Piece has.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rontzeeez Hockey 11
Rontzeeez Hockey 3
Konshentz Video Games 7
Tristan84 Movies & TV 0
Rontzeeez Hockey 3