One of my Chefs.

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by ExecutiveChefMatt, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ExecutiveChefMatt

ExecutiveChefMatt Registered Member

I've had my restaurant for....three and a half years now. Most of my chefs have been there since the beginning and are very hard workers.

I have two sous chefs, Taylor and John. Taylor is a 23 year old female who has been with me for two years. She is a bright, energetic worker with a knack for cheering people up.

My other sous chef, John, is 68 years old. He has been in the Culinary business for over 30 years. He's been with me since I opened my restaurant. He's always been a hard worker but..lately I've noticed him starting to show signs of wear and tear. I was just wondering on what to do about him. I don't want to fire him, but at the same time mistakes in a kitchen are very unwanted.

Your opinions are most welcome.

-Chef Matt.

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Matt, I believe it may be time to talk to him about retirement. I would imagine that 30 years as (I would assume) a sous chef should have earned him a fairly decent pension. He's old enough for Medicare.

I wouldn't suggest that you fire him. Ethically you would be in the wrong. I would have a meeting with him and discuss his shortcomings very, very delicately. I'm sure a man of his age who has worked so hard for several decades will be very sensitive to the issue of retirement. You should be his friend. Try to explain that he may not be able to keep up anymore and point out a few, but not many, of the bigger mistakes. He'll remember the rest.

I hope things work out for you and your chef. Good luck filling the position and finding the necessary experience.

3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Isn't 65 the age of retirement there? It is here. I don't think a kitchen is a suitable place for a man of his age to be working. I'm sure he'll understand.
    As Steve said, you can't fire him but surely it's wrong for a man of his age to be working so hard.

4. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Also offer him to do something else in the restaurant.

5. ExecutiveChefMatt

ExecutiveChefMatt Registered Member

I talked to him about it and he told me that he was fine with retirement. I'm currently working with him on the medicare situation. He is being very upbeat about it and has no hard feelings whatsoever. Tomorrow is his last day and we're having a small party in honor of his commitment to my restaurant and the Culinary business as a whole.

Gonna miss you John!