One millionth English word to be named next month

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by Nixola, May 8, 2009.

1. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

One millionth English word could be 'defriend' or 'noob' - Telegraph

I thought this was a pretty interesting story. Even though I am familiar with the word "noob" I've don't think I've actually heard or used "defriend" - seems a bit wrong to me, it's not a word that would come naturally to me.

And even though we have a million words in our language the average person only uses 14,000, I'm not surprised with this to be honest.

I wonder why we have so many unused words in our language?

Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
    Bliss likes this.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I've never heard "defriend" used anywhere, not even over the Internet. I would love noob to be the winner. The internet would rejoice.

Nixola likes this.
  3. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Never used or heard anyone use defriend either; i think only some posh twat who is new to the net would ever use that.

'You have annoyed me, i shall now defriend you!'

God, what a noob that person would be --_--

Nixola likes this.
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't like the idea of the word "noob" being considered an actual word. It just takes away from the English language if you ask me.

The internet is full of enough crap, we don't need to ruin the English language by making it all official... :shake:

5. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

Noob FTW :thumbup:

I have never heard the word Defriend what does it me, is it the opposite to Befriend, very strange indeed.

6. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

But seriously, how often do you hear actual words used on the internet? It's all text talk and L337 SP34K. :rolleyes:

Actually I think it'd kind of take away the meaning of noob. It'd turn it into something like "fool" or "imbecile", all legitimate and lame. It wouldn't be as appropriate.

I don't think this is actually just about the net, it's about an actual English word. :D

Also, using words with more than four letters doesn't make you posh. :stare: :lol:

Yeah...the English word is already barbaricised enough.

"Aluminum"...*sigh* :lol:

7. n3wt

n3wt Registered Member

But defriend what the hell is that about? I still dont get it...

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

"Defriend" sounds like removing someone from your friend list on Facebook or whatever.

Who wants to bet if they add "Noob" they'll mess up the definition somehow?

9. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I can't see anyone using the word 'defriend' outside of speaking about the internet. So i don't think it should be considered an english word. Wouldn't be too bothered by noob becoming an official word. I don't use it, but i was delighted when 'meh' was put in the dictionary, so i'd be happy for the people that DO use the word noob! :D

10. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I feel that whenever a word, phrase or term is created by somebody it should automatically be added for reference by others. Even if the word is considered ridiculous by others, it's good for history.