• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

One for the headlines.

Dragon

V.I.P.
I was filling in for one of my co-worker and this one lady came in my line buying over $100 worth of items for her dog. She paid by credit card and asked her for her id. I saw the name on the card and was shocked. She is a news anchor for the local station. I can see the headlines "Idiot cards news anchor". She looked different in person than on tv. Should of told her about my ebay auction.

yooperchick

Registered Member
My hubby used to work for a TV station, and I was able to see some news anchors in regular life. They do look quite different!!

I never sign the back of my credit cards. Only a few people have ever asked for my ID. I'm very glad when they do.

yooperchick

Registered Member
They couldn't get much out of them anyways - I'm the queen of being close to the credit limit - LOL!

I was thinking of writing "Check ID" on the back. I've seen someone do that. But, he told me that no one had ever asked to see his ID. I saw a TV show once where these guys were using funny names (e.g. donald duck) or just a regular symbol for their signature on credit card slips. The cashiers didn't catch it and off they went.

That's why it's nice to see that Dragon checked! :D

Dragon

V.I.P.
I was shopping at my store yesterday and the cashier checked my id. I have never work with him and I don't think he knew that I work there. We have some pro football players coming in too. I approached him one time and asked him if he needed any help. I thought he was mumbling to his friend so I just went back to work. Next thing I know, he grabs a cat tree and drags it to the front. Later that night, I found out that he was a football player for the Cleveland Browns. You see celebrities and you just don't know it's them.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
That is very true. Very few people actually check ID when people are paying with a credit card. When people come into the store to purchase computers or monitors, I always try to remember to ask for ID before I charge the card.

Writing "Check ID" on the back of you card does not alwasy work. I wrote that on my card and most of the time nobody even checked it. The Post Office has a note up that says that they will not accept a credit/debit card that does not have a signature on it. "Check ID" is not a valid signature. So I had to sign my card to use it.

Dragon

V.I.P.
I had another anchor come in yesterday but he does the sports and yes I did ask him for ID because he was paying by check. I always check for people's ID if the card is not signed, if it says check ID or if it is a certain amount whether or not it's signed because thieves like to rack up the card so I just do that just in case.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
Because I can't stand it unless I'm throwing in my own 2 cents, what about all the over the phone (and online) payments and purchases going on these days??? Although identity theft is at an all time high, it seems like people have no problem throwing their personal info all over the place...which of course might explain why it's at an all time high!
The point I'm making is....does checking ID really make that much of a difference?? It's way to easy to become someone else, even if it's for nothing more than making purchases!!

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
As someone who works for a company that does online payments, we deal with a lot of fraudulent orders. We have a system that actually checks the billing address of the card holder to verify that they are correct. If the shipping address is different than the billing address, we call the customer to make sure that they are making this purchase and to verify the shipping address. This has significantly reduced the number of fraudulent orders.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
It was probably for the better that you asked for her ID...

specially since shes a news person, as they could have been testing out how your stores do on checking ID...

AZ ia the #1 state for ID theft... not something to be proud of, but I have caught many who have tried to use checks with falseified ID... the cops just love me lol!!!

I work in retail, and we usually dont ask for ID (for a credit card) unless its a outrageous ammount, or suspicious items... (after 12 years, I know what to look for)

I have plenty of stories on this... but I wont post them at this time