Once you're gone...

Bananas

Endangered Species
Do you have any official plans or unofficial wishes of what is to happen to your physical body when you die?

This article was in the papers today....
A devout British Hindu today won the right to be cremated on a traditional open air funeral pyre.
Appeal Court backs Hindu's funeral pyre | News

Ive been to a few funerals at crematoriums and cemeteries and I am uncomfortable with the thought of my body being placed in a furnace to be incinerated or just dropped in the ground to decay. Last year I attended a faux funeral pyre where a proxy body(a pig) was burned. The funeral was not a Hindu one but one inspired by traditional romano-british techniques ...here are some pics....

and at the time I wished that I could be dealt with the same if it were legal....well now it looks like it might be a possibility. Im sure there will be lots of red tape and details that need clariffying, but hopefully by the time my turn comes something similar to my wishes will be possible.

Other than that the only other request is as an organ donor, but once their done I'll happiy take a pyre.

Any plans or wishes?Maybe you are doing whats traditional for your religion or just leaving it to others. Perhaps if cremated what would you like done with your ashes, or you would like to be buried in a particular spot..... or maybe you just dont care...you'd be dead after all.

Blueyes

Registered Member
im gonna be cremated after all my organs that can be used are used. i refuse to rot in a ground. they can throw my ashes and my cats ashes at the same time because I have her in a kitty urn on my mantel now.

mm, I wanna be cremated. (Now I have Ramones tune in my head, but cremated instead of sedated)

Anyway, I hate the idea of being buried underground. I can't get the thought of regaining life out of my head whenever I think about it. I knoooooow it's pretty much impossible nowadays, it's a silly fear but it's still there.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would like to donate as many organs as I can. Beyond that I don't have any official plans. I would like to be cremated and have my ashes spread in the mountains somewhere. Haven't decided where exactly yet.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have any set in stone yet, since I don't have a will yet. But I definitely want to be cremated, no not because I'm afraid of the bugs underground like a lot of people are, but because I would like my ashes to be spread around a baseball diamond somewhere.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
I want everything donated. I want all of my organs donated to those who need them. And I want the rest of my body to go to science, whether they study it on a slab or they bury it somewhere for homicide detective training.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I really am surprised by all the people who are preferring cremation. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say that's what I want.

But yeah, like many others, I want my organs donated, and to be cremated.

I want my ashes to be spread either somewhere tropical, or in the same exact place that they choose to spread the ashes of my grandfather. He's been gone for almost 5 years now, but I don't believe the family has spread his ashes yet.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I haven't really thought about it. I know I want to donate the organs I can, but i'm pretty sure despite what you say you want when you are alive, your family gets the ultimate say after your death. I don't like the idea of either cremation or burial. One of those viking ceremonies would be sweet, where they put you in a boat, set you on fire then push you out on the water.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I haven't really thought about it. I know I want to donate the organs I can, but i'm pretty sure despite what you say you want when you are alive, your family gets the ultimate say after your death. I don't like the idea of either cremation or burial. One of those viking ceremonies would be sweet, where they put you in a boat, set you on fire then push you out on the water.
I'm with you there, I think your family can override most things, unless it's a legal document...so I have expressed to my mom exactly what I want. She will make sure it's done.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
Your next of kin gets the last say if you don't have a will (if you are married, your spouse is your next of kin). That's why a will is so important. :)