OMG! YouTube 3D!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mirage, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How did I not realize this before? YouTube is officially in 3D! You can upload 3D video and everything, assuming you have a stereo camera setup, which almost nobody has...

YouTube - 2010 Reno Nevada Great Balloon Race pt 1 of 4 Canon DSLR Inter Video 3D Lite yt3d:enable=true

You have to click through to YouTube to see the 3D options. They are on the lower right hand side to the right of the quality option.

YouTube - A Christmas Carol 3D Trailer (yt3d:enable=true)

EDIT: Enable "Crosseyed" mode and cross your eyes while watching. Focus in on the image in the middle (you'll see three images) and after a few seconds you'll be locked into a 3D viewing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

WOW, that video was unimpressive. Am I supposed to use special goggles, or something?

3. Mirage

Sorry, edited the OP. You have to click through to YouTube to see the 3D options haha. My bad.

Also, if your monitor is below 120hz and you don't have a pair of polarized 3D glasses from a recent 3D IMAX movie then you won't be able to see it anyway. But, you can still see the cool 3D options.

I can't actually see the 3D either because my monitor doesn't support it (it's only 60hz), but I do have the glasses. :shake:

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

How do I know if my monitor is 120hz? Where do I check it?

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I said it once, and I'll say it again - once we get hologram style 3D, then I'll be interested. Until then, it's a gimmick that an extremely small number of films have used for something other than token "Oh look this thing's flying at you how immersive" shots that are meant to make up for the fact that they're usually shit but watchable.

And considering the standard quality of most YouTube clips, they don't even have that going for them.

Daemonic likes this.
  6. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

My thought exactly, I think this entire 3D thing is eventually going to fade away. I just don't think most people want to sit around wearing glasses while they watch tv or play video games....

7. Mirage

Well, to those who wear glasses ANYWAY, or contacts for that matter, it will soon be possible to build in the 3D technology without screwing up normal vision. To those people it won't be annoying at all. :)

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I thought it was cool

I did the "Cross eyed" one and it worked perty darn good. I was surprised.

9. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Sure, I'm not saying it is not good technology.

I just don't think 3D is going to really kick off until we don't need glasses.

10. Mirage

Wow, at first I didn't realize what you meant but I looked at it, crossed my eyes and focused on the middle image and after a few seconds my eyes comfortable locked onto it and I could see it in 3D. And with no special glasses either. :D
    ------

YouTube - Avatar 3D Trailer
    ------
    Here are some 3D images you can see using the crosseyed method too.

3d_magic_eye: ???????????? ????????????

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010