• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

OMG wtFreak is this?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
So I stopped by the store yesterday on the way home, I get some stuff, and when I'm standing in line, I hear the sounds of a TV on in the store, so I look over at the checkout counters, and what do I see?????

http://www.geocities.com/dave00vega/inlineads.JPG

That TV runs non-stop ads and commercials! Bad enough they have to clutter the eye space, but now ads are invading the audio space as well, and running non-stop on a TV screen while people stand in line. Is anyone else seeing this anywhere? Insane. I never thought I'd see the day. Now people get to be totally mindnumbed couch-potatoes even in the lines at the store! WTF? :mad:

yooperchick

Registered Member
I think pretty soon, our heads are just gonna blow up from sensory overload. What is this world coming to, you can't even stand in a line and just space out for a while. You have to listen to advertising.

We don't have that where we live. You know, it sort of reminds me of Minority Report in a way, but the ads aren't tailored to individuals YET.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
madgamer said:
You know, it sort of reminds me of Minority Report in a way, but the ads aren't tailored to individuals YET.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I thought I wonder if they got the idea from watching the movie and thinking "hey let's try something like that" or just said "we need a new way to advertise. let's do this" and it just happens to be like the movie's depiction of the future.

Wrecked

Registered Member
yeah i just noticed that the other day at Albertsons. i said to myself, "when the **** did this come in". didn't watch or listen to them.

the next step in grocery stores is to have a scanner on your cart and as you put things in your cart you scan it, so by the time you're at the check out line all you have to do is pay. and supposadly there are going to be ads running on that screen the whole time too.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I've seen those monitors at grocery stores. I never really payed attention to them though. And Wrecked, around here they're starting to put "self checkout" lines in a lot of the grocery stores. I don't know if you guys have seen them. It's actually really annoying. Basically you scan all your items yourself, bag it all yourself, and insert cash or a credit card into the machine. It's a lot more of a pain in the ass than it sounds.

And back to advertising, yeah it's everywhere these days. You can't even relax on the beach without airplanes flying by with banners hanging off the back.

Wrecked

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
And Wrecked, around here they're starting to put "self checkout" lines in a lot of the grocery stores.
yeah we have that here, but i was saying that the next thing they're going to do is put the scanner on the cart itself. so as you're shopping you're scanning things constintly so by the time you get to the line, all you need to do is bag and pay. unless they had a card slot on the scanner, then all you need to do would be bag.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
around here they're starting to put "self checkout" lines in a lot of the grocery stores. I don't know if you guys have seen them. It's actually really annoying. Basically you scan all your items yourself, bag it all yourself, and insert cash or a credit card into the machine. It's a lot more of a pain in the ass than it sounds.
Look in the lower right corner of my picture. A guy is using it. You can barely see the top of his head, but a good amount of the screen is right there. That's actually the line I was standing in. It's a replacement technology for the "10 items or less" line.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A Home Depot that I go to has those self checkout lanes, they're hella annoying. I'd rather have someone else do it for me.

ltk9492

Registered Member
Wrecked said:
yeah i just noticed that the other day at Albertsons. i said to myself, "when the **** did this come in". didn't watch or listen to them.

the next step in grocery stores is to have a scanner on your cart and as you put things in your cart you scan it, so by the time you're at the check out line all you have to do is pay. and supposadly there are going to be ads running on that screen the whole time too.
wow this sucks. I hope I don't run into any. Don't you all hate commercials? They are SOOOOOO long, especially when you are watching good shows. I hope they don't pull this crud at publix anytime soon.

( walmarts have Walmart TV though, all walmart ads on it.)

The first thing that jumped to mind after reading this was Futurama, and the episode where Fry realizes that his dreams have ads in them.